Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Alone On The Road Again


Saturday, November 2, 2013

This morning, we all packed up and checked out of the Lamothe House. We had such a wonderful time and we were sad to leave. The first item on the agenda was to get Shannon, our driver, her morning coffee. It took all morning to get these 4 women, who had stayed up till 3:30 am the night before, to shower, pack, and haul their stuff 1/2 block down the street to cram into the car. Thus, Shannon didn’t get her morning joe till about 11:30 am. Once she got her first sip of coffee, you could see the smile appear and we knew we would have a good day of travel. We had so much stuff packed into her Hyundai Tucson that, with the exception of our fearless driver, we all had luggage under our feet--to knee level or higher. Six feet were propped on any ledge or dashboard or seat back available. It took a good portion of the day to get to Lake Charles, because we needed a few bathroom and stretch breaks, from our legs being crammed into tight spaces. I wasn’t the only one looking like an old lady with the first 3 steps of walking. 

The ladies dropped me off at Capitol Cyclery at about 4 pm. John, the owner and  expert mechanic who put Henry David back in running order, had borrowed his father-in-law’s truck to take HD and I across Lake Charles to Sulphur--the town on the other side. Apparently, in this part of the south, you can cycle over rivers and lakes on the interstate if there is no other option--except for over Lake Charles. The interstate bridge has no shoulder and bicycles are prohibited. I had to wait until the store closed for the day, so I hung out in the parking lot and met a most interesting family.

Loyd, a retired man with a passion for cycling and a mission to pray for cancer victims, came to the cycle shop to pick up a few supplies. He approached me in front of the store and asked if I were traveling long distance. I responded yes and he said that he and his family were all traveling on tadpoles---these are recumbent trikes with two wheels in the front and one in the back. I became very excited and just had to meet this family; his wife and kids were in the car. 

Loyd and Denise Truly and family are from Quebec---New Brunswick to be specific. They started 4 months ago, traveling 30-35 miles a day when cycling. They stay mostly in campgrounds, with a motel interspersed here and there. Paul does all the repairs himself and, on occasion, the family has had to stay put to wait for parts when there have been breakdowns. 

Loyd, Denise, and their 13 yr old daughter all pull single wheel trailers behind their trikes. Their 12 year old son does not pull a trailer but cycles his own tadpole. The youngest, a cute little blonde about 5 yrs old, rides behind her daddy’s seat. Denise keeps a daily blog on her facebook page. They often stay at people’s homes through the “warm showers” program. This is a hospitality program for hikers and bikers traveling the country. You can pull into a town, find out if any resident is part of the program, call them up, and see if you can take a shower in their home. This is often accompanied by an offer for a meal and a bed. The family has met some incredible folks this way. 

Part of the purpose for this family trek is a “Pray for Cancer” program. They ask people whom they meet if they have a loved one with cancer; this family will pray for them. Isn’t that so cool? 

I talked to the kids for a bit. The two older kids enjoyed the first 3 months. Over the last month, however, they have been getting homesick and a bit tired of life on the road. But, they have many miles yet to go. Yet they did admit that they have had many adventures and have met some really wonderful folks. The goal is Brownsfield, TX; then they turn around and cycle back home to Canada.

Yikes, it will be winter!

The teenage girl, a very pretty young lady, said her favorite time was when they got a rental car and went to Florida. She enjoyed the cycling break and got a brief chance to enjoy the scenery while at rest.

However, the reason for the rest break wasn’t so great.

While approaching a hill, a truck passed the family but cut in too fast, before fully passing Denise. The driver ran into her front left wheel and crunched her trike, causing her some minor injuries but pretty much totaling the cycle. Loyd ordered a replacement cycle to be delivered to a shop in Florida, so they got the rental car, drove to the shop, visited some folks, and then got back on the road. 

This family will have memories to last a lifetime.

After the family left the parking lot, I went inside and talked to the guys. It was quite entertaining! I love it when the bro’s do their thing and tease each other as a way of support. John and “Quads” are serious cyclists and participate in local races. “Quads” got his nickname because he was a bodybuilder for a few years and developed such huge thighs that he had to walk with his legs apart. They are still quite well developed but now he can stand with his feet below his hips. The heavy weightlifting resulted in some injuries so he switched to cycling and he is enjoying it. He has a race tomorrow.

He and John enjoy pop music and compared notes about who were their favorite musicians and groups. They both have a secret, well, ok, not so secret, crush on Katy Perry. John is married and Quads has a girlfriend, but they explained that they are guys, so they still can have a crush on a pop singer! 

There was also a young man at the shop; I missed his name. Ethan? Oh, heck, I can’t remember. He is 18 and very slender and youthful appearing. Adorable. He is also participating in some cycling races. He enjoyed teasing his older counterparts.

I say “older”, but these guys are just in the mid twenties. All of them are incredibly good looking. The “older” guys have dark hair, the ever popular and sexy five o’clock shadow, and fit physiques. Young “Ethan” looks like he may follow in their footsteps. Time will tell.

After closing the shop, John took HD and I across the lake. John has a business related college degree and opened this cycle shop with a partner. Over time, he is buying out his partner so that he will have sole ownership. They have another shop and he takes great pride in all aspects of the business. 

John said that it is hard to find capable bike mechanics and employees. He cannot compete with the wages of the local plants in the area. Gas and oil refineries are a big deal here and there is a new plant coming in, which will be able to hire 25,000 employees!

Jeez. That’s the size of Carlsbad, where I live! 

That is one HUGE refinery. Its own city. 

John dropped me off at the Super 8 in Sulfur City, LA. I had a quiet night and got myself ready to get back on the road.
_____________________________

Sunday, November 3rd, 2013

It was a nice ride today to Beaumont on hwy 90, crossing the final frontier into Texas. Next state is home! HD and I crossed a few bridges on the interstate as the only option, hopping on and off as soon as possible. Once we arrived on the east end of Beaumont, we got off the interstate and wove through the neighborhood streets. I found a Super 8 on a frontage road and arrived in the late afternoon, shortly before dark. After exercises, I went next door to Cafe Del Rio, a really wonderful Mexican restaurant. I ordered a spinach enchilada plate and thought I had died and gone to heaven. That’s the thing about exercise, for me, anyway. It makes me really enjoy eating a tasty meal. I even had a sopapilla afterward. It wasn’t served with honey but a small bowl of whipped cream---oh my god. 

OK, back to apples and bananas and crackers!

___________________________

Monday, November 3rd, 2013

I hit the morning traffic in Beaumont and was surprised by the size of this town. After leaving the congestion of the city centre, I cycled through tree lined streets. It had a small town feel with all of the mod cons of a big city, including a universit. Nice town!

It was another quiet ride along hwy 90. I’ve had a mild tail wind for a few days while I appear to be just missing the rainstorms by a day or two. The road has been fairly flat and there is still a bayou/swamp feeling as I head toward Houston. It is still nice and warm here in early November, but I hear that Austin just got 14 inches of rain!

I stayed the night in Liberty, TX at the Residence Suites Inn; the room was simple and clean and I was happy. Happy to be off poor old HD, my trusty trike!!

______________________________

Tuesday, November 4th, 2013

Today was the day to address the big city of Houston. I crossed the Trinity River on hwy 90 and, when I reached Dayton, I got off that sweet hwy and jumped onto Texas FM 1960. FM is a “farm road”. This had a glorious shoulder all the way to Houston. The map shows it crossing over the north end, so I thought, “Great! I will miss all the crazy Houston traffic everyone has warned me about!”

Ha Ha Ha! 

The traffic didn’t bother me, until about 3/4 mile before reaching the Hardy Toll Road, which is the most northern part of the FM 1960. Then, the shoulder disappeared and there were no sidewalks and I was blocked by curbs. For the next 7-10 miles, it was city driving at its nastiest. This was a 6 lane highway, called a “farm road”, but it was stop and go and hundreds of stoplights, and stores, etc. The road was hemmed in by a curb most of the time, and then there was a grassy bank. People walked in the ditch of the grass. This was my first, and hopefully last, “close call”. All the drivers saw me ahead of time and took the opportunity to switch lanes before they reached me, whenever they could. Occasionally, the traffic in the next lane was thick enough that a driver might have to follow me for 10-20 seconds before sliding over. I kept an eye on my rearview mirror.

Then, a big black pickup came roaring up the lane, probably excited that he thought he had the lane to himself. After all, the cars had all moved over and I am sure he was taking advantage of the “clear path”. I had no where to go because there were no driveways or curbs and this guy was NOT slowing down. He obviously did not see me until the last second when he slammed on his brakes and stopped behind me with only inches to spare. 

I was grateful that he didn’t honk at me in anger or fear. His heart was probably beating faster than mine. It happened so fast, I had no time to be worried more than 2 seconds. I’ve been more scared going over tight bridges in traffic, vehicles whizzing past but giving me just enough room to continue unharmed. 

This was the only time any vehicle had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting me. Not bad for 8600 miles. I remain very grateful.

On the east end of Houston, I pulled into a McDonalds to grab some coffee. When I came back out to the trike, there was a white cargo van parked nearby, with 3 men inside, waving. Lee Morris, the driver, called out, asking where I was going and how far, etc. After a quick explanation of the trip, I asked him about what he loves. He said he used to love something that was bad for him, but he had “quit all that”. Now he enjoys his job and loves his kids. He currently sells and delivers office furniture. 

I arrived at the Extended Stay on Champion Centre Driver in the late afternoon. When cycling around the parking lot to my room, I met Ed Casey, a local resident. His wife had just undergone a foot surgery so they were staying in the bottom floor of the motel for a week. Their home has 2-3 stories and she has to climb stairs to even get to the front door. So, until she recovers enough to manage the stairs, they will stay at the Extended Stay. These rooms have kitchenettes and are fairly economical for Houston prices. 

Ed is semi-retired. He got into real estate about 33 years ago. You know--buying, renting, leasing, selling. This has been a huge success for him and he can close a deal in 3 days. He likes to live simply and says that he and his wife are comfortable and have all that they need, so he doesn’t feel the need to push it as hard as he used to. His son graduated from Texas Tech University and got into the real estate business upon graduation. But, when the housing market crashed in 2008, the son jumped ship and went into investment banking. He makes good money, but often works 7 days a week. Ed thinks that the real estate business is solid--the market may vary but people always need a home. He tries to work out win-win situations with his buyers so that everyone gets the deal they want. I like that! Ed and his wife have lived in Houston for decades; they raised their children here and all of them live in the area. It is a good life and Ed is happy with his choices.

After unpacking a few things, I took a long walk around the nearby mall and grabbed an ice cream cone at McDonalds. I had been craving a frappecino, but a frappe has twice as many calories as an ice cream cone. So, the cone won. I picked up a Subway salad for later, to eat in the room.

It was a good day all in all. Most of the ride had been uneventful and pleasant. I was hit by some sprinkling rain, but it was very mild. FM 1960 had been heavenly, until the last 10 miles. I arrived safe and sound and had a pleasant evening. Who can complain about that? Still, I needed to get off that FM 1960 road as soon as possible. Tomorrow.

______________________________________

Wednesday, November 6th, 2013

I meant to get up earlier, but dagnab it, I keep going to sleep too late. So, I headed out about 7:30--about 30 minutes later than planned. But that wasn’t so bad. I had figured out how to get off that busy road after about 1/4 mile. Wouldn’t you know that they added sidewalks right about the time I got off that street? LOL!

HD and I made it through the city streets in morning traffic. It was actually quite good, because the school buses were all out and everyone was driving at a safe speed and so they had plenty of time to go around me when needed. 

On the northwest end of Houston, I leapt onto the frontage road of hwy 290. I rode this highway option for several miles to Hockley. Then I took the business 290 through Hockley, Waller, and Hempstead, getting directly onto the hwy after Hempstead, when it is no longer considered “limited access”. I hit some rain, a little stronger today, and battled a headwind all day.

In Waller, I stopped at a little gas station and convenience store at the west end of town. There, I met Dalip. This attractive, slender man is from Sri Lanka. He came to the USA about 2 years ago and hopes to return home in 1-2 more years. He came here to work and make enough money to pay for the modest home that is being built back home. He needs to earn $20,000 to pay for it, so he has been sending home whatever he can. He has a wife and 2 sons, age 6 and 10. He misses them terribly but talks to them almost daily on Skype. 

I am very grateful for modern technology. 

He told me a little about the tsunami that hit Indonesia and Sri Lanka in 2004. (Then, of course, I had to read about it some more that night.) Almost 250,000 people were killed. The wall of water was 98 feet high in some areas. The causative earthquake was the highest and longest in recorded history, measuring over 9 on the Richter scale. His family lived near the coast, but at a high enough elevation that no one in his family was injured or lost their homes. He described the sad plight of the Sri Lanka fishermen and their families, who live right on the coastline near the water. So many lost their lives. 

I asked him about the cultural differences between residents of Sri Lanka and USA. It is worth noting that Dalip has lived in 2 cities in the US: New York City and Houston---megacities. I think he drives from Houston to Waller to work every day in this store that is owned by a good friend from home. 

When I asked him about the cultural differences, Dalip’s eyes grew wide and he warmed up to his subject---home. He said the differences were substantial. At home, he said, people live very simply. He and his entire extended family are Catholic, but most of the people in his town and country are Buddhist. This has shaped the people to be peaceloving, close knit as families and communities, and satisfied with the basic pleasures of life. “They enjoy the 5 senses and each other”.

Sri Lanka is a tropical island in the Indian Ocean off the southeast border of India. It is often referred to as the “pearl of India” and the land of “smiling people”. I can imagine that there is plenty there to titillate the senses: smells, sights, sounds, tastes, and textures in this tropical paradise. Heaven!

Dalip said that people eat together in the evening; families gather to share simple food and converse and relax. His father still buys fresh fish from the fishermen at the wharf every day--the daily catch. The produce is fresh-picked and people eat simple and healthy. People don’t have a lot of possessions, but that is the give-and-take between a fast-paced life to get “stuff”, and a slower life to simply enjoy what you do have. That being said, Dalip still felt the need to come here to work so that he could provide a nicer home for his family. He wants the simple life, but in a sturdy home that can withstand the vagaries of weather. He is anxious to return to his beloved homeland.

I got back on the road with plenty to think about after talking to Dalip. 

Around Hempstead, the flat lands gave rise to gently rolling hills. The headwind increased and the last 20 miles of the day were quite a challenge. I had to turn on the flashers during the final 45 minutes of the ride today. I arrived at the Super 8 on the east end of Brenham shortly before dark. This is a newly remodeled motel with spacious halls and rooms. I brought HD inside and I had a pleasant evening with the typical rituals of exercise, shower, and a simple meal. Tonight’s dinner was a sweet potato that I nuked in the microwave and a small back of jalapeno kettle chips. Yumm!

_____________________________

Thursday, November 7, 2013. 

After cereal, yogurt, and coffee from the offerings at the Super 8, I headed out on HD through Brenham, stopping at a Walgreens for bottled water and a bar of chocolate. I still had bananas and an apple and figured I would pick up some peanuts at a convenience store somewhere along the way when I needed a “break”. 

When I reached the town of Burton, there was a great little gas station/convenience store and auto mechanic shop at the west end of town. I pulled in to find a restroom and a drink and had the opportunity to meet Jim Bobo, one of the mechanics there. Then, the owner came in, who told me his name was “George”, with a wink in his eye. He added “Curious George” and let me know that I did not need to know his name. “George” ranted for a bit about the country’s politics for the last several decades (since he reached drafting age and experienced VietNam). Then he ranted about people in general and gave me advice on personal protection gear. 

But, from “George” and Jim, I did get a bit of local history of the shop. It was built in 1929 and was initially a Ford dealership, selling Model T’s and the like. The store has a round front with ceiling high windows--perfect to show off those cars. The auto shop is the original one, with tall steel rafters and huge wooden ceiling beams. I saw the old car lifts and Jim showed me around the place. It used to be quite the place to stop: a car dealership, auto repair shop, diner, motel, and picnic area were all on the property. Since it is several miles between towns here, I imagined it to be a popular stop. There were old black and white photos of yesteryear throughout the convenient store and repair shop. In the repair shop itself, there were a few old classic cars undergoing rehabilitation. There was an old Studebaker that I particularly liked. 

Those old cars were gas guzzlers, but boy oh boy could they move! My first car was an old Plymouth Fury, a retired police car painted gold. It cost me $50. I had to put in a new battery and buy the insurance and that was all it took to make this car ZOOOMM!! If I took my foot off the brake, it would fly across the intersection with just a teensy bit of verbal encouragement! I loved that old car. That was when there was a gas war in 1976 and the gas was a measly 19 cents a gallon. Still, I rode my bicycle more than drove my car, but when I wanted to travel far and fast, that old Plymouth did the job with flying colors. And I mean flying! 

Jim is a friendly man who enjoys meeting the travelers who stop in the store. The convenient store is being renovated and expanded and will soon offer fresh sandwiches to customers. Jim works on the cars and helps as needed in the shop. His passions are people, music, and helping others. He moved back to this town, after living in the city for most of his adult years, to take care of his aging parents. He is “semi-retired” and works the hours he wants, while checking on mom and dad throughout the day. For fun, he grabs his guitar and jams with a few friends. He loves the small town life where everyone is family. The churches are the town hub and the fire department does a few fundraisers a year with games, music, food, and fun for the kiddies. In a neighboring town, there is a place where there is like a big hoedown from time to time, where the locals can gather and kick up there heels to some good country music. Life is slower and relaxed and suits Jim well at this time in his life.

I rode hwy 290 all the way to Giddings, Texas. It was a great ride with a wonderful shoulder. The scenery is really lovely, with wide expanses of meadow and grassland. The hills are becoming more evident and it will basically be uphill to New Mexico from here. So far, the hills are easily managed, but when I hit the official “Texas hill country” as I head west from Austin, the grades will be getting steaper. The air was much cooler today and I even kept on my leggings and long sleeved shirt. When I left the Super 8 this morning, it was 46 degrees. That was ok with the leggings and lightweight shirt I wore today, because of the exercise of cycling. 

I arrived at America’s Best Value Inn around 3:30 pm, where I was assured the prices were the best in town. I walked down the street to the grocery store for the next food supply for today and most of tomorrow. I have been snacking on corn tortillas and sandwich cheese slices (they were cheap!) while I write. Soon, I will hit the floor with my exercise routine. I plan on an earlier night because I need to get to Austin before dark, if I can. 

I love Henry David, my trusty trike. But he IS a bit slow, if you know what I mean. Or is it me?

__________________________

Friday, November 8, 2013

HD and I left America’s Best Value Inn when the sky was bathed in pink. I tried to get a somewhat earlier start today as the ride would be hilly and long. And it was. But, oh so beautiful. This is entering my favorite part of Texas--the beginning of hill country. It did not disappoint. Hills, meadows, cows, horses, streams and brooks, autumn flowers and subtle changing colors in this subtropical land. I even saw my first prickly pear cactus and felt as if I were coming home once again.  The air was cool today but I didn’t have a headwind, so I wore my long sleeved shirt, an overshirt, thermal socks, the everpresent leggings and riding skorts, and a fuzzy hat, and continued on, enjoying the sights and sounds. The highways were fairly kind and the drivers respectful. It was an uneventful ride, mostly because I was simply concentrating on getting in the miles so I could make it to the motel before dark. These shorter autumn days are interfering with the number of available, safe hours I can cycle. So, I find myself in a hurry, taking fewer breaks. My odometer/speedometer has not worked since Lake Charles, so I have no truly effective way to gauge my timing. Every now and then I come upon a road sign telling the distance between towns, but these signs are few and far between. When I don’t have a speedometer working, I find myself getting lost in the sights and sounds and I often slow down. So, I tried to concentrate on keeping the pedals moving. I arrived at the Howard Johnson Motel South in Austin by 4:30, giving me time to do my exercises and even shower before my daughter Shannon arrived.

Once she arrived---the hilarity began. It is so nice to have her here again. No longer alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment