Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Texas and back to New Mexico

Day 3: March 26th.  Tuesday---I cycled into El Paso and zipped across the northern end to reach the northwest side. The first 40 miles were hard: I felt I was cycling through molasses, but there was a gradually increasing climb, so I suppose it makes sense. Then, down another "hill" and on into El Paso, Texas, for the next 25-30. It was a fairly uneventful ride. Highlights?  Purple Heart Drive is really great--good road, bicycle path, fast moving. I had to exit a mile early d/t road construction. Shannon and I stayed at the Candlewood Inn and Suites. We caught up on our coffee deficit, took hot showers, and I even did the laundry! Shannon heated up our dinner with the stove in the room, so we had a sumptuous feast of leftovers again, this time even more delicious. Am I just getting hungry?

We caught up on some emails and didn't hit the pillows till past midnight. A bed was nice...

Day 4: March 27: Today I followed google bike maps to cycle into Las Cruces, winding through the agricultural valley bordering the Rio Grande. While the river was dry on the surface, the verdant fields suggested a plentiful underground water supply. Cycling through small towns of very old farms and ranches was a special treat. There was a 2 mile stretch of pecan trees, with branches almost touching over the road. In the summer, it must be simply heaven. The pecans are still leafless, but the tips are just beginning to swell.

Upon arrival in LC, I took Henry David to Outdoor Adventures for a tune up and to ask some questions about the rear derailleur as I told the manager I really couldn't use the largest rear sprocket as I hear dragging chain. Well, we found the problem---it is now grounded, but hopefully for just tomorrow if we can rig a fix. So, now I may be able to catch up on the website--blog and photos.

At some point, we should hunt up some vittles, besides these delightful Leal's tortilla chips.
We are, after all, New Mexican/Californians. Bring on some chile and we will be smiling wide.

So, guess we get a day "off"...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you will get another good night rest, Jo.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete