Thursday, August 29, 2013

East Across New York


On Saturday, August 17th, I got a late start, having slept peacefully and deeply at the Niagara County Campground near Lockport, NY. I noted that Henry David’s back tires had worn through to the inner green rubber reinforcements. Time to change my tires already! These were definitely not the quality of tires that were originally installed on the trike. They only had about 800 miles on them, while the originals had lasted 5000 miles and did not show the serious loss of rubber that these newer tires exhibited. So, I took photos, send them to Russ so he could show them to the bike shop in Normal. Then I headed east, hoping to make it to Rochester that day. 

I got on the Erie Canalway Trail about 4-5 miles from the campground. This is a 365 mile trail that travels from Buffalo to Albany next to the Erie Canal. Well, almost. It is 75% complete--give it a few years and it will be finished. It is generally “paved” with crushed stone and stone dust, although some cities and towns have paved it with actual asphalt or cement, making it a popular hiking and biking trail for families in bigger towns, like Rochester. Serious cyclists ride the trail every summer. The trail follows the Erie Canal and there are various kiosks along the way, describing the history of the canals, the locks, and the development of towns along the way. It is fairly level, with few serious hills. There are some areas where the trail is not maintained, so it appears that locals may be partially responsible for keeping it cleaned and the road or trail in good riding or walking condition. 

The history of the canal itself it quite fascintating. In the 1700‘s and early 1800’s. getting goods across New York was time-consuming and difficult on pack animals, which required cutting across boglands, forests, and hills. Shipping goods via waterways was much more efficient. DeWitt Clinton, mayor of New York City, proposed the Erie Canal project to President Thomas Jefferson in 1807. The Prez called it “the big ditch” and said it was a good idea... in 100 years. When the next president, Madison, also vetoed funds for the project, Mayor Clinton got the fine state of New York, and its supportive citizens, to do it alone, as a state owned canal, and ground was broken at Utica, NY on July 4th,1817. The project had now begun. 

Clinton became governor of the state, was voted out, and then voted back in. Funds for the project rose and fell with Clinton’s own fortunes and political influence. In 1825, the project was complete, while Clinton was governor the 2nd time. The celebration of the canal completion lasted 10 days, while governor Clinton waved from the Seneca Chief, the boat that carried him down the canal, with every town port participating in the party.

The Erie Canal became a symbol of the ambition, the industriousness, and the resolve of the American people. It brought extensive business and income to New York, establishing it as The Empire State. And here I thought it was because of the building by that name. The building came second. The canal came first. 

Baby boomers will remember singing the Low Bridge song, otherwise known as “Fifteen Years on the Erie Canal”. This folk song was written in 1905 by Thomas Allen, commemorating the period from 1825 to 1880 when mules pulled barges down the canal. After 1880, engine power replaced mule power. The song was about reminding people to duck under the bridges when they rode on the top of the boats. I don’t remember learning this part of history. Only the song. It had a catchy tune, so at 6 or 7 years old, I just sang the words. I had heard about the Erie Canal, but not much of interest to a child, just when it was built and that it was used for shipping goods. Where are the exciting depictions in the children’s history books about the mules pulling these boats? About President Jefferson calling it “a big ditch”? How it made New York rich and became known as The Empire State? How about a science display showing how a lock actually works? 

I never knew.

If nothing else, this adventure has been worth the effort of learning about my own country. What a history! It is coming alive! To see it and touch it and experience it have been gifts beyond measure.

The Erie Canal now is used for recreational purposes, primarily boating, with the Trail acting as a proud connection to the canal for the entire state of New York. Some of the tiny towns along the canal still benefit from the people hiking and biking the trail, who come into town to sample the local fare and take advantage of the lodging options.

After a few hours of cycling on the Trail that first day, I popped into Medina to see if there was a bike shop. No go. I realized that, being Saturday, it wouldn’t do any good to make it to Rochester that night, because the bike shops would be closed on Sunday. So, I used the iPhone to find the closest shop on the way---Bicycle Outfitters was the closest one off the trail--in Brockport. I called the shop at about 1:30 pm and the owner, Russell, answered, saying that he had some standard tires and if I could make it by 5 pm he would install them. 

So, I pushed onward but it took 90 minutes to only go 10 miles. So, at the next available bridge, I crossed, jumped onto hwy 31, which is a designated bike approved hwy in New York (thank you, New York!) and picked up a little speed, making it to the shop by 4:30. He was busy with customers till almost 6 pm, but he installed the tires in just a few minutes. He told me that I needed special tires for the recumbent because standard tires were not meant to carry the load and the wheel angle on the trike was also likely to cause rapid wear. I really will need to contact Rod Miner, from Lightfoot Cycles, and ask him to mail the ultra recumbent trike tires to the next planned bike shop visit.

Now to find a place to stay. I checked every motel and B&B in town---all filled, except the last room at the Hampton Inn. I have never stayed at the Hampton during this cycling trip because it is a bit too pricey for me, but I was desperate, so I took it. It was the king suite, handicapped accessible, which means it was roomy. So, I lived like a queen for the night: did my exercises, soaked in the jacuzzi downstairs, drank their heavenly coffee, watched a movie, and spent an extraordinary amount of time on the internet mapping out the journey to Maine. I drank so much of their damn good coffee that I couldn’t sleep in that big comfy bed. I was tempted to throw my sleeping bag on the floor to see if that would work better!

In the morning, I partook of their continental breakfast, drinking more of the blasted fantastic coffee, and set out for Macedon. I stopped in Greece, NY, about 15 miles shy of Rochester, to sit at a Tim Hortons Cafe and see if I couldn’t perhaps travel farther than Macedon. But there really aren’t any motels or campgrounds after Macedon until you are right up on Syracuse. In Macedon, at lock 30 along the canal, there is a primitive campground for bikers and hikers. I called the lockmaster for confirmation that I could camp there, and away I went, hopping back on the Erie Canalway Trail.

When I reached Rochester, the pathway split and I ended up alongside the Genesee River. Ooops. I was thinking that things didn’t look quite right when a cyclist pulled alongside and asked if I meant to be traveling next to the canal. It was apparent from my gear that I was traveling a distance and not just out for a Sunday ride. This cyclist was Dave, a Trail Ambassador, and he has traveled the Erie Canalway hundreds of times for well over 7000 miles. He said he would take me back to the canal trail, but asked if I would first be interested in seeing downtown Rochester. I answered “Sure!” as here was a ready and willing guide. So, Dave took me along the river, stopping several times to point out a building or bridge or area of note. So, I got a little history lesson on Rochester as well. What a cool town. 

There is a museum that is a “play museum”: floor after floor and room after room filled with things and activities for children to enjoy. He pointed at all the skyscrapers and said that, 50 years ago, when he moved here, there were only two tall buildings. Now there must be a dozen or more.

The pathway along the river not only went downtown, but it also had areas that were secluded and wooded. At one point, a little white-tailed fawn came bounding up to us within about 8-10 feet. We stopped and the fawn stopped and we shot photos while we spoke to the wild wee one. Deeper in the brush was a young buck keeping an eye on us, mayber 3-4 years old judging by the small rack of antlers. 

Eventually, we made our way back to the canal pathway and Dave wished me happy trails.

Dave. He is 74 but I thought he was maybe 58. His passions are photography, cycling, and red wine. He has traveled the world and now he chooses picturesque places to visit, photograph, and sample the offerings of the local vineyards. He usually brings a bicycle with him to enjoy cycling the area as well. He is a wine connisseur and is quite knowledgeable on the topic. I always have to call one of my children if I want to serve wine to guests, as I really know nothing about wine. 

Dave has taught photography classes in 5 countries, including the USA. During our little visit, he took numerous photographs of the scenery, although he did not have his “serious” camera with him today. He has won close to 100 photography awards.  You can see some of his work at: www.DaveValvo.com.  When you go to this site, a slideshow of photographic work begins. The photos are INCREDIBLE!!! This man has been all over the world. Just to be in the right place and time to even take these photos suggests a very full and beautiful life. 

After Rochester, I continued on the Erie Canalway and went through several small towns and burgs. It felt like Sunday at the park. There were cyclists, walkers, families, and boaters all enjoying the canal. In the classy little town of Pittsford, there was about a city block or two length of boardwalk next to the canal. I popped into a little shop that specialized in gelato and purchased some iced coffee. Along this boardwalk area of the Erie Canalway, you cannot ride your bike, but must walk it. I met an older couple on a tandem cycle who live near Lake Ontario and take their double seated bike with them on little day trips. In a few weeks, they will be driving to the Adirondacks and will cycle some of the hills each day. It’s a nice retirement!

Continuing on the path, I was joined by a young man who runs a communications firm for Fortune 500 companies. He had not been cycling for quite some time but he had taken the bike out of the garage, cleaned it up and filled the tires, and here he was. It was nice having some riding company--twice today!

After the detour in Rochester, it took longer than expected to reach Macedon. I arrived between 6 and 6:30 pm, met a few teenagers fishing in the canal, and they gave me advice about the local convenience store for snacks and drinks. I pitched camp on the grass at the Erie Canal Park at Lock 30 and walked to the Expressway Station to pick up some snacks for the evening. 

When I arrived back at the tent, the sky was turning orange and pink and lavender as the sun was dropping in the horizon. Another biker, Eric, arrived and pitched tent about 40 ft from mine. We chatted for a bit. He is from the Oregon coast and is heading for Kennebunk, Maine. Eric is a director for a successful software company, but took a leave of absence to do this trip. He said it was the best thing he has done in years and he is loving every minute of it. When I asked him about his passion, about what he loves, he said that he didn’t have a passion. He had been too busy working, working, working. But what he is doing right now is certainly his passion today.

We talked a bit about managing on the road. He rides about 80 miles a day and pulls a small, single-wheeled trailer. He is carrying very little equipment and I am again reminded that I am probably bringing way too much stuff. Guys who cycle across country tend to wear the same clothes for 3 days in a row. I change every day. They often don’t wear underwear. I wear plenty of underclothes. Maybe I should look at my gear and rethink. But, then again, here I am in my tent and it is 9:15 pm and I have on the clothes, and underclothes, I wore all day. I really don’t want to wear them for 2 days in a row, but maybe I should try it. 

Ewwww!!
_________________________

Monday, August 19th, 2013. I set my phone alarm and packed up the dew-moistened tent and hit the road by about 6:30, going as far as about 0.10 miles to the ExpressMart for coffee. Short start! At 6:45, after Jo had her Joe, HD and I were heading east on hwy 5, which we traveled almost all day. I was heading for Syracuse but noted that the motels in my price range were located on the far east side. Well, I would deal with that later.

Wow. Hills and hills on these old highways! That lovely nearby interstate was much more level but verbotten for HD and I. So I spent the day working on serious strengthening as I battled up those hills. Knowing I would be crossing the Northern Appalachians, my final mountain range on this trip (that I know of, at least!), I tried to console myself and my tired knees, saying I needed some hard days to rebuild the mountain muscles!! By the time I reached Syracuse, I was absolutely exhausted, having cycled 70 miles of mostly hills. I got off the trike at a McDonalds to get a drink and to find a room to stay. My legs were shaking from fatigue and pain. I found a reasonable room another 10 miles away, in East Syracuse, or DeWitt---same address. I called and booked a room for two nights, as it was time for the cycling day off and to start writing, editing, rewriting, and posting blogs. The last blog I had posted was the Illinois blog and I had come through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, a piece of New York, into Ontario at Niagara Falls, and back into the US. There was a lot to write. 

As I turned out of the McDonalds parking lot, my knees started screaming in pain. I felt like a big, old weakling. I thought of Eric and how he had zoomed past me earlier today with his lightweight bike and his minimal gear. I thought I must be crazy or stupid to do this trip on a heavy trike (I’m so sorry, Henry David, for my wayward thoughts!) and loaded down with so much stuff. I mentally went through my inventory of “Stuff” and could think of only a few things I would be willing to leave behind, adding up to maybe 2 or 3 pounds. If that. I had some cold weather clothing, but I knew that cooler temps were heading my way. 

Then, while the knees were still screaming, I thought of the two disabled athletes of whom I had read while waiting for my tires in Brockport. These intrepid trekkers had cycled the Himalayas on recumbent trikes: a man with one side partially paralyzed and a woman with severe arthritis in her hips! Jeez Louise! If these two could cycle their trikes up the Himalayas, I could certainly push another 10 miles through Syracuse! Get it together, woman!

The pain eased as the road leveled through Syracuse. The day was ending and darkness was falling. I kept hitting the red lights through town, which slowed me down; so I turned on my lights. Doggone it. Two of the three rear red lights were dead. Yes, the days were certainly getting shorter as it was pretty dark by 8 pm. As I approached East Syracuse, the road narrowed and I was losing visibility. The last 10 minutes or so of this cycling day were spent on the uneven sidewalks to avoid being hit by a car zooming past, or being the cause of someone else’s accident. The auto drivers were getting a little nervous. So was I. 

HD and I made it to the Econo Lodge intact. I was exhausted and dirty and grimy and salty and sore. HD was just dirty. He seems to take these days in better stride than I do.

I checked into my room, talked on the phone to family, took a well needed hot shower, and popped into the Denny’s next door. I ate the meal I vowed to avoid---a veggie burger with fries. But, this time, I was so hungry that it went down very easy and I felt great. I went back to my room to crawl into bed and watched the 2nd half of an old comedy starring Cary Grant. He was a handsome leading man but he really did have a gift for doing comedy. He could pop those big dark eyes in the funniest expressions and then stumble over the language with perfection. Just what I needed to ease the day’s aches and pains--a little laughter and a lot of smiling.

Today, August 20th, I spent the day as planned. Writing. Mapping. Replacing light batteries. Talking or texting loved ones. And here I am back at Denny’s, having finished a fried-grilled cheese sandwich. Hey, it’s the closest restaurant to the motel! Vegetarian pickings here at Denny’s are limited! There is a KFC directly next door to the motel. But I don’t do chicken. Poor little hormone-fed foul living miserable lives in those chicken barns with no room even to walk. I just won’t support that. Nope. So, on the way out of town tomorrow, I will replenish my fruit and nut supply and head for Utica.

______________________________

Wednesday, August 21st. I was sad that day. Missed loved ones; one in particular and wondered what is worth what.  So. I spent the morning in semi-meditation on the road, singing to the music on my iPod. Mostly, I have folk music on my device--in which lyrics are the important component of the music. However, I do have some acoustic musicians as well: Don Ross and Doug Smith. Oh yes, and Joannie Madden on the Irish whistle. Ne’ertheless, I sang my way through the hills to the delightful songs of Peter Mayer,  Dougie MacLean, and Keb Mo. The weather was hot and still and humid and the sweat was running down my arms and hands and dripping off the forearms and elbows. My legs looked like I was in the midst of a shower or rainstorm!

But, the hills were pleasantly challenging and, while I had to cycle at a slow pace, I arrived at the northeastern end of Utica around 6ish. This is Schuyler, incorporated about 1796. I went to the Passport Inn and got a bare bones room. No fridge or microwave, unless I would take a smoking room. No dice! I had picked up a sweet potato, mushrooms, hummus, a ripe avocado, bananas, peanuts, raisins, Jalapeno chips, and a quart of Boathouse Farms vanilla chai protein drink. Oh yeah, and York Peppermint Patties and some Hot Tamales---you know, the gel candy that is good when watching movies! (No, I didn’t eat all of it that night!! LOL!) Earlier in the day, I had stopped at one of the dozens of roadside stands I had seen and purchased a small bag of locally grown applies. Most of the best food I had purchased needed refrigeration, but, no go here at the Passport Inn. But the electricity and the water were working. Well, almost. The shower plumbing was not giving me any hot water, but the bathroom sink had plenty. So, I did a wash down from the sink. Not as fun as standing under the shower, and a whole lot messier, but I felt cleaned up afterward.

By the way, in case you were wondering if I had decided to follow the example set by the male cyclists whom I have met on this trip: I did NOT follow their advice. I am still changing my sweaty underclothes every day. I’m still a person of the female persuasion, after all. 

For dinner at the Passport Inn, I sliced part of the sweet potato into discs and dipped the raw sweet potato and raw mushrooms into the hummus, with slices of ripe avocado mixed in. Yumm!! Better than french fries! Sorry Denny’s! You just can’t compare with raw, real food.

I used to eat only raw foods for about 6-9 months, and primarily raw for about 1-2 years, when living in Carlsbad. But refrigeration and packaging and a dehydrator and good knives are essential and so my diet on the road has definitely gone downhill! I have heard of cyclists and marathon runners who eat only fruit! Imagine, only fruit! I think I could just about do that, if someone would carry it for me! LOL! It would take a lot of fruit to motor across the country, but it also takes place of some of the water I carry. So, maybe I should give it a try for a week or two. Maybe I could manage raw fruit, smoothies, juices, and....ice cream!! Yeah, that’s the ticket!  

I read about this fructarian---eats only fruit---who is an ultra marathon runner. That is someone who does these 100 mile running races. Imagine. He eats only fruit. He says he eats 6000-7000 calories a day. That’s a lot of bananas: 60-70! Reminds me of Gilligan. All of you baby-boomers will know what I’m talking about!

Emotional healing last night after talking on the phone. Sigh...

So, today is Thursday, August 22nd. Really? Thursday? Jeez, the time is slipping by quickly. 

I checked for campgrounds on my proposed route for the day through east New York to St. Johnsville, and found one about 5 miles north of town, which is not bad. When I talked to the owner/manager on the phone, however, I discovered that those 5 miles were all uphill. But, hey, ok, I wanted to camp.

So, through the undulating hills of New York, HD and I rolled along. Slowly. The humidity was again quite high and the sweat was flinging off my arms and legs and sliding from my eyebrows into my eyes. LOL! This is humidity!  Nothing new, so, going downhill was especially delightful as it effectively cooled me off.

While on hwy 5, another cyclist caught up to me and rode alongside for about 8-10 miles. His name is Paul and he was cycling across the grand state of New York, taking just a few days to do it, as he planned on riding 100 miles a day.

However, a friend of his from Rochester wanted to join him on this particular trip. The friend cycled for 2 days, having a half miserable time, and then took a bus back. Paul’s friend doesn’t ride a bicycle very often, except to toodle around town a bit. But, he thought that a cross-state trek would be easy. But the hills of New York ain’t easy, honey!! He found that out within the first 5 miles.  Paul told me that he spent the time teasing his friend and cracking silly jokes, partially to give him a hard time and partially to get his buddy to smile and laugh. It’s the Bro Thang comin’ down.

Now Paul is riding solo and enjoying his personal pace and the solitary time on the road. He works for hire as a consultant for software companies, usually providing his technical expertise for a few weeks and often up to 6 months at a time, and then he is on his way. He says he likes it that way because he believes he would get bored if he worked at the same place all the time. 

I understand that sentiment, to some extent. If I am not creating something or building something, I get a bit antsy. As long as I am learning new things, I am good to go. As long as I am building a new program or advancing a new skill, I am a happy therapist. I’m not particularly satisfied if I have to count how many straight leg raises or squats my client is doing. They didn’t teach counting at OSU, but I seem to do a lot of it. I would rather take the client that has gone through all the standard stuff but wants, and needs, something different. Make me think. Make me work hard. Make me reach higher.

So. Paul. He is a slender, athletic man; quite good looking. He loves to eat and his Italian heritage gives him the background to enjoy a good meal and to experiment a bit with flavors. He also loves music and, living in Rochester, he said he goes to live music venues 3-4 times a week. Last night in Rome, NY, he and his buddy went to an Italian restaurant and listened to a local live band. He was impressed with the band, especially the lead singer, and said he was surprised by the quality of the music. Apparently, he has a taste not only for good food but for good music as well.

He also loves the cycling, but he did not go on about his experiences as many do. Rather, he mentioned a few of the cyclists he has already met on this journey and how they have inspired him. I find it fascinating that some of the most interesting people need quite a bit of prompting to tell you their own stories!

He accompanied me into St Johnsville, where I stopped to get a drink and planned to turn north. Uphill. While I was catching up on text communique with family, Paul came back to the store to tell me that there was a campground right here in town, just in case I didn’t feel like going up the mountains until I have to, just a few blocks away. So, I checked it out and he was right. The St Johnsville Marina Campground was perfect. Right on the canal/river, with a shower (even has hot water!!), a washer/drier, electricity at the pavillion in the tent area, and about 1/4 mile from town. Yay!! And only 10 dollars!! Double yay!

So, I pitched tent; did most of my exercises in the sultry heat, thus moistening my clothing further; took a shower; and now I am in the laundry room tending my clothing. Two loads this time--yikes!

After I put away the clothes, etc, I plan to walk into town and check out the street faire the local firemen are putting on tonite!! Reminds me of Canistota, SD. I wonder what fun activities will be planned. I bet there is not a cow plop contest! Or mud races! Ah, memories of Canistota.  Did you know there is also a Canistota, New York?

Well, off I go. I am LOVING New York. 

___________________________
August 23rd. It rained in the early evening last night. I couldn’t find the street faire. Maybe it was canceled. But I moved my tent and contents under the pavilion---AFTER the rainshower! Then I took a walk downtown in the dusk, just for fun. 

The morning air was fresh and clean from the previous night. Before heading out of town, I went back into town to grab some coffee. The “good ole boys” were hanging out at the Stewart’s Convenience Store. We had a great little natter. The group of guys, ranging from say 40 to 85 yrs old, gather every morning to shoot the breeze and solve the problems of the world. They say they do a good job of the latter! After answering the typical questions about HD, I went inside, grabbed my coffee, and hit the road. Today, I chose to get back on the Erie Canalway Trail, thinking that I would then avoid the crazy hills of the highway, not to mention the traffic. 

The bikeway was absolutely delightful. I had lost my iPod late yesterday afternoon on the highway, so it was nice to be in the quiet of the woods, hearing the birds and bugs and streams. On the highway, it is nice to have music part of the day. 

The bikeway wound through some picturesque little towns, such as Fort Plain, Canajoharie, and Fultonville

Shortly after stopping in Fort Plain, I got back on the trail and was passed by a few ladies about my age on bicycles. They weren’t carrying packs, so I figured they were locals taking a day ride. About a mile later, I passed them while they were taking a break, and then they passed me again. One of the ladies, Shari, rode beside me for a few minutes and we shared stories. 

Oh my god!! This woman, with her friend Laurie, are REAL adventurers! While Laurie is retired, Shari still works, but the two women have been on some incredible travels together.  Thirteen years ago, they took a year off and took their savings and, first, hiked the Appalachian trail, stem to stern, which is 2170 miles. Then, they took the next 6 months and traveled the world, flying to Hong Kong, Europe, Africa, and some other places I can’t recall. In Florida, they hopped in a car and drove to Costa Rica. During this time of globe trotting, they hiked, biked, boated, and saw the sights.  While they kept an online journal, it is no longer up and running. 

I would have loved to read it!

So, right now, these intrepid travelers grabbed 3 other girlfriends and are cycling the entire Erie Canalway Trail.  Since it is not complete, they have to ride some highways and city streets part of the time, but they have maps that show how to get back on the trails. They stay in mid-level motels, like Days Inn. They have a few cars with them and they take turns driving the cars to each pre-determined destination. So, the ladies who are driving for the day, first cycle 15 miles out on the trail and then turn around and cycle back. Then they pick up the vehicles and drive to the designated town and check into the motels and wait for the other women. That way, even the drivers get a good workout every day. 

When Shari and Laurie were hiking the Appalachian trail, they carried backpacks and did a lot of camping and some motelling. They shipped winter and summer clothes to themselves (likely through pre-determined post offices) so that they weren’t carrying all the gear needed for the entire 6 months but changed out seasonal items. They asked how much I was carrying and I responded “at least 70 lbs”. 

I have cold and warm weather gear with me and I also carry quite a bit of water and food from time to time. Now that I am in the east, I don’t have to carry as much food and water because the population density is higher and there are more stores. Yay for that! But there may be fewer places to camp along the major highways. 

Even though HD is very heavy and slow, and even though I’m carrying everything I want, I still get from point A to point B. I’m traveling usuallly 40-60 miles a day, 50 is about perfect. Fewer miles if it involves cycling uphill a mountain. I’m comfortable, clean, and healthy. I have no rules, other than I must do this trip on the cycle. 

I compare myself to the tortoise, slow moving, carrying her home on her back. But she gets the job done.

In fact, this analogy was apropos for the day. The ladies on the bicylces were heading for Schenectady, as was I. They passed me up.  Then, an hour later, they would pass me again. I called out, “Hey, how did you do that? I didn’t pass you, how could you pass me again?”

Well, they were taking more breaks than I. Just like the tortoise and the hare. And, about 10 miles from Schenectady, shortly after the bike trail ended and we were spit out onto the highway, I passed Shari and one of her cycling buddies. Her friend had a flat and they had repaired it, but could not pump the tire back up because they didn’t have a hand pump, only a CO2 pump. But the CO2 pump had the wrong valve on it. So, we used my hand pump and pumped that sucker up and then all three of us got the tire back on the bike.

After the tire was secured, I went on my way, all the way through Schenectady and then turned south to check into a Super 8. I didn’t see them again; we may have taken different routes to Schenectady. 

I’m glad I have tools. And clothes. And my MacBook Air. And batteries. And spare innertubes. And a solar charger. And my girly stuff for my sun battered skin. I’m glad I have Henry David, who has taught me about patience and living the moment and going slowly enough to finally pay attention to what is going on around me. Like Life!

Henry David is just like his namesake in that regard. 

The Super 8 in south Schenectady (actually a burg called Schuyler) is a bare bones motel. But it did have hot water in the shower and breakfast in the morning.

So, on Saturday, August 24th, I had yogurt, a banana, and a toaster waffle for breakfast and then hit the road for the Green Mountain foothills in Vermont. After working through the streets of Schenectady, HD and I headed out on hwy 7. We had to get off the hwy and work the city streets again in Latham and Troy, catching the 7 on the way out of each town. 

The town of Troy was extremely hilly and I mean STEEP hills! I was definitely getting a workout and HD was definitely getting his gears worked. The left wheelguard has shifted and I am now using bungee cords to pull it inward so that the plastic guard does not rub on the wheel. Funny how much easier it is to pedal when nothing is rubbing on the tire! I may decide to remove the wheelguards entirely. Next bike shop stop. Not yet. For now, I will just use the bungee cord. It’s like going to a car mechanic. You spend money evey time you walk in the door. So, I will wait until I get new tires and get all HD’s aches and pains addressed at once.

About 3-5 miles from the Vermont border, while still riding the 7 in New York, I came upon “Big Moose”. This is a crazy, wonderful tourist joint which advertises genuine Vermont merchandise. It’s Vermont everything. You are not even in Vermont yet!! Every aisle is packed with candy, drinks, jerky, and stuff, stuff, stuff from VT. And pricey too! I availed myself of their outhouse and their coffee, but did not succumb to adding stuff to my gear. I have what I need! However, I did take some photos on my iPhone of some of the plaques and a few items so that I could share them with my children. 

I took a photo of 3 huge gnomes for Shannon. I took a photo of a funny dog saying for Heather, of a dad saying for Deois, and a photo of peanut butter and jelly flavored soda for all three of them. I took a photo of life sized Blue Brothers mannequins, hugging moose, and a funny saying about chocolate to Peter. OK. Enough! Now, back on the road to actually get to Vermont.

The shoulder on the NY hwy 7 deteriorated the closer I got to hwy 9, the Molly Stark Highway, in VT. But, thanks to the VDOT, the shoulder was fairly restored on the 9. 

The ride today was about 50 miles. It was hilly and beautiful and surprisingly easy. I am not sure why I found it easy.  I rode into Bennington, VT, my day’s destination, in the afternoon around 4:30 . I checked into the Kirkside Motor Lodge because of their fantastic website. While the bedspread and the wallpaper were country, the motel really couldn’t be compared to the Hampton Inn or the Best Western, as the website claimed. It was another very appreciated but simple motel. The staff in the tiny office were quite nice and the fellow travelers were friendly and welcoming. 

Henry David and I enjoyed the upstate New York experience. New York is incredibly varied and beautiful; the roads are cycle friendly; and the people are friendly. It has a history of ambition and hard work. 

New York IS America.


No comments:

Post a Comment