Monday, August 12, 2013

Illinois Homecoming


On Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013, Henry David and I crossed the Mississippi River from Iowa and into Illinois. I wanted to get off the cycle and kiss the ground. Why? Because, for the first several miles on Hwy 20, in the grand state of Illinois, there was an ample shoulder. Yay! Room for HD and I!

This was also my second homecoming on the trip. I was born in Champaign, Illinois and, at the age of 3 1/2, moved to Chicago until the summer before 1st grade. Our family then moved to southern California. I have always felt I have two home states: Illinois--land of my birth. And California---land of my upbringing and passion. On this trek, I entered California as my first homecoming. On July 23rd, I felt a 2nd homecoming as I entered Illinois. My third homecoming will be in New Mexico, as I return to my current “home”.   In reality, “Home” tends to be wherever I park for the night...

That is, unless I absolutely fall in love with a state such as North or South Carolina. I am an ocean lover and looking forward to the Atlantic coast experience. Maybe a future home by the ocean will be calling.

Northern Illinois is breathtakingly beautiful. I saw road signs in the northern Illinois country warning that it was a punishable crime to cut down any trees without legal permission. The “Heart of Illinois” road signs are everywhere. The northern part of the state is hilly--as note-worthy as Montana. HD and I cycled into the quaint town of Galena in the mid afternoon. Well, actually, we didn’t go far into the town, but the western edge, where we happily encountered The Palace Campground, the oldest campground in Illinois, est 1848. I found myself bemusedly wondering why anyone needed to go camping in the 1800’s!! But, I imagine that the need to find established campgrounds was very importantant to the ladies crossing on horse or in wagons. Not everyone could afford a motel room, if one was even available. And the security of a campground has quite an allure. As well I know. 

So, I camped on a patch of grass, walked next door to the WalMart (NOT built in 1848!) and picked up a paperback book. I did my exercises, charged my phone in the bathroom, and read myself to sleep that night. Great day! I felt like I was home.

On Wednesday, July 24th, I really was unsure how to get to the next place to camp---Mount Carroll. I got a very late start, after consulting my internet maps while drinking coffee at McDonalds. I also called the IDOT--Illinois Department of Transportation. They have a department that deals specifically with cycling. The maps advised cycling on a lonely county road, but it looked like there was no chance of a shoulder, once again, plus blind hills. So, I took the long way around, adding about 10 miles to the day, and stayed on hwy 20. Part of hwy 20 was fantastic, but the other half, or more, was, again, sans shoulder. The traffic was light enough that the trip was fine: I had to pull into the gravel numerous times and then had to lift HD’s front end back onto the road, or walk him up a hill or around a corner. But I was happy to be in Illinois. So who cares about the extra work?

After Iowa, this was a piece of red velvet cake.
I meandered through the hills on hwy 20, and reached the town of Elizabeth for Casey’s famous coffee. In the parking lot---this seems to be where I meet the most fascinating people!!--I met Rich Pardue. He had passed me earlier in the day, when he was heading west. He called his administrative assistant and told her he saw an “incumbent trike” and asked her to look them up and see where he could get one. She responded that she found one on the ‘net for $249. He said that he didn’t “want a granny trike” and $250 sounded way too cheap for the cycle he had envisioned. So, while heading back east on the 20, he saw me again, pulled over and we began a delightful conversation. Rich is experiencing some arthritic pain in his knees and he is interested in cycling for exercise.

What a fascinating man. Rich is a successful businessman and a true people person. Friendly and larger than life in his personality, Rich has business operations all over the world. I found it heartwarming and encouraging that he has started numerous operations in tiny towns where he would befriend someone who was down on their luck, jobless, or even “destitute”, and gave them a partnership opportunity. I wonder how many lives this man has affected? He is a Catholic convert and considers that God has no prejudice, so why should he? And, if ANYONE should earn it, God could sport a superior attitude. But if God loves everyone equally, so should he. So, this successful businessman has made a success of his ventures, even when taking risks on people that no one else would even consider.

He has lost a few---both dollars and friends--but has gained more than he has lost. He takes a risk on life. 

Most excellent!

His passion: Horses! Especially racehorses. He owns many thoroughbreds and has come within a hair’s breadth of winning the Kentucky Derby--his personal goal. I asked him about therapy for his horses, as I have often dabbled with the thought of learning equine physical therapy. I love the beauty of the horse. This incredible animal has changed the face of human evolution. 

Rich said he does his own “equine chiropractics” and said he went to school for  certification. He adjusts his horses’ necks and backs and keeps them in healthy condition. He is cautious with their condition and will hold a horse back from running a race if he thinks it may have a strain or any condition that could hurt the horse. Forget the win. While winning is fantastic, his horses are even more important than the trophy. I would love to visit his thoroughbred farms and learn from the masters.

Rich and I talked extensively about the trike and how it is designed. He plans on contacting Lightfoot Cycles for more information. I received an email from him, saying he is seriously looking at recumbent trikes. He wants to travel across Kentucky and Virginia on a trike and has even been thinking about his physical training schedule. 

If he buys one, he will name is “Jo”. My lord, what an honor that would be. I am totally humbled by this generous man. He is a ball of fire, that one!

When HD and I reached Stockton, Illinois, we turned south on hwy 78. This appeared to be a bit more rural and shoulders were a luxury. But the traffic remained light and the day was incredible with blue skies and lovely scenery. Around 5:30 pm, we rolled into Mount Carroll and checked the single old hotel in town, which was fully booked. I could not get a cell signal, so couldn’t look up the campground. There was a coffee shop downtown just about ready to close. I bought a cuppa joe and a home baked treat and asked for advice of the owner. He gave me directions to the campground, about 4 miles away, and even called them to let them know I was on my way. 

I headed south from Mt Carroll and then turned east on hwy 40, then south on Black Oak Rd, reaching The Timber Lake Resort and Campground about 6:15 pm. I talked to Marlene at the camp office for about 30 minutes. She was a delight.

Marlene looks like she is in her 30’s, but she just had a son graduate from the university with a doctoral degree in physical therapy. Marlene works summers at the campground, with a degree in environmental science or conservation or some such nature degree. During the school year, she works with special needs kids to help them adjust and cope with the “regular” classroom. We talked about “Greg” extensively, a young man with Asberger’s Syndrome, of whom Marlene is particularly fond. She has worked with him for 2 years and her stories were heartwarming. As with most forms of autism, people with Asberger’s syndrome have difficulty with social constructs, understanding appropriate social behaviors, interpreting nonverbal communications, expressing emotion appropriately, and understanding others. They often have amazing memories and think in patterns, often in highly visual, mathematical patterns. Marlene’s “job” is to help Greg cope in the school setting and to help him gain the social skills necessary to be able to flourish in society. One of the most touching moments in her life, she said, occurred when Greg saw her in a Walmart, called out her name, and actually ran to her, smiling broadly with excitement.  Marlene and I both choked up at the story. That genuine smile, Marlene says, was one of the most beautiful things she has ever seen, as it is so rare in this young man. He is learning to smile and communicate---two skills essential in flourishing in a social human society. 

And can get you ahead faster and farther than a 130 IQ. 

So, what does Marlene love? That was easy---God, her children, and nature. 

I also met Ron, the owner of the Timber Lake Campground. He rides around in his electric cart during the summer months, meeting every one of the campers who come to his little lake resort. He continually is working on the grounds, improving each site. And succeeding. 

There were so many families---children and teenagers running all over the place, splashing in the pool, playing games, and experiencing the ultimate enjoyment of youth. I really enjoy being around young people. They make me feel alive. I remember being a teenager with hope and excitement and hormones. Yet I was also quite introspective as a young person and enjoyed hours of solitude taking walks in the country or hikes in the hills. Not so different from now, I guess!!

I was hungry and was just about out of food, but the concession stand at the pool was still open. No grocery store or even convenient store for miles. So, after pitching the tent, I hopped over to the stand to peruse the menu. I could have candy, ice cream, or fried anything. So, deciding to throw caution to the wind, I ordered 2 fried dishes: poppers (fried hot peppers stuffed with cheese) and fried green beans. I took my prize midwestern meal back to my campsite, sat on the top of the picnic bench, ate fried grease (yummmmm!!!), and read my paperback. Afterward, I wondered why I ordered two fried dishes when just one fried fat meal would have been plenty. Bleah. Did I earn that tummy ache or what?????

Add it up to another learning experience. So. Now I know. While cycling, no veggie burgers, no Chinese buffet, no gorging on sour cream dip with chips, and no fried meals. 

I need to keep these lessons even when I’m NOT cycling!  Lol!

I better stick with fresh fruit, trail mix, salad, and fresh veggies without excessive fat dressings. Yoghurt seems to go down well too. And chocolate. And coffee. The last two are for my happy quotient. Emotional health is very important!

The Timber Lake Campground was fun. I heard bullfrogs flirting with each other all night and had the pleasure of watching the fireflies for awhile before I retired to the tent to read yet a little more. I do love camping in my little tent.

The next morning, I cycled the 4 miles or so back to highway 52 and then cycled to Dixon, Illinois. When I reached Polo, Illinois, I texted my stepdad Russ. I knew it was going to be a few more days before I could get to Normal, thus reducing the amount of time I could stay and visit. I was heading south instead of east; in a way, this was “off course”. I suggested that, if he knew anyone who would be willing to pick me up, that could save me a few days and I would just head northeast from his house. So, in the evening, Russ, his daughter Cheryl, and her husband Dick, who was driving, came to Dixon and loaded up HD and we headed south to Normal.

Now. Dixon. What an absolute delight. It is a perfect midwestern town. Located near the tail end of Illinois hill country and surrounded by farms, Dixon has the charm of an quaint town with beautiful old buildings and a lot of town pride. I parked at a McDonalds, checked maps, then cycled to the river, crossing the bridge, and parking by the bronze life-sized statue of a young Ronald Reagan, wearing a t-shirt and jeans, and jauntily perched on a horse. Dixon is home town for the that prez, and the residents wear it with pride. While parked by the young Reagan, I called my friend Mike Cleary and asked for his mother’s phone number. I then called Nancy Cleary and she came right on down to the park and we spent the afternoon together. While we chatted, Nancy called her daughter Patty and Coco (Colleen) and cousin Bobby. Soon, we had a little family reunion with my newly adopted family. Coco brought her adorable daughter Vanessa and we all enjoyed swapping stories of Dixon, Mike’s childhood, and Nancy’s life. 

Here are some of the stories.

Nancy’s mother was one of those incredible marathon dancers during the Depression. The marathon dances would last for days and prize money would go to the last couple still standing. This might involve DAYS of dancing, without sleep. Nancy’s mother won enough of these events that she was sent to Washington DC for a national competition. While in DC, she met the man who was later to become her husband. When wedded, they moved back to Dixon to help take care of Nancy’s grandparents.  And this is where they lived for the rest of their lives.

Nancy and her hubby had 11 children and, apparently, everyone knows the Cleary family and it is known that everyone knows someone who knows and loves a Cleary!  

In the 1980‘s, Nancy and her husband bought and opened the Shamrock Inn. They ran it for several years and then daughter Patty bought it and ran it for several more years. After Patty sold it, she continued to work there on weekends. And still does. 

If I had more time in Dixon, I would want to go there and order a Baileys on ice and celebrate my Irish.  I have had the pleasant discovery of seeing Irish pubs and shops all through Illinois. Sigh...So great to be home. I may just do a little jig!

When the children were little, and before the purchase of the Shamrock Inn, Nancy worked as a waitress at night and her husband worked during the day. When he came home from work, dinner was ready, and Nancy was ready to go to work outside the home for a few hours. The work ethic was very strong in this family. It remains strong and you can see it in their children. Mike is quite devoted to his work at New Mexico State University as VP of student services at the Carlsbad, NM branch. Every one of his siblings whom I have met are equally hardworking. But they have a sense of camaraderie and play as well. I love this family! I swear we are related---it may have been 150-200 years ago, but I swear we are cousins!

I asked the family about my friend Mike and what kind of child he was. No one told any secrets--what a close family!!! Nancy suggested he was wild, but then, when comparing him to the other young men in town, she admitted that he was actually a “pretty good kid”. Patty said he had to babysit his siblings quite often when he was a teenager but she felt he was a light touch so perhaps they cut loose a bit when he was in charge. I could plainly see that she feels deeply for him. 

While we sat at the river park gazebo, eating more fried foods (you would think I learned but, hey, I was being sociable! Really!!), Nancy called the local newspaper, The Sauk Valley Gazette, and a reporter came down and interviewed me on the spot. Then the photographer arrived and took photos. Both men were well suited to their jobs. The reporter was thoughtful in his questions and loves to write. The photographer took the time to position himself in crazy configurations in order to get just the right photographic angles. He enjoys his photography and says he is happy to be employed doing what he wants to do all day anyway.

The Cleary family love “family”. I asked Nancy what she loves and while she was taken aback by the question and searched for an answer, her daughters chimed in “she loves her family” and then they broke up laughing. Vanessa then shouted “Kitties! I love kitties!” 

While we stood there laughing, Russ and family arrived to whisk me and HD to Normal. First, a trip to the local family restaurant and then the 2 hour drive home. 

A very, very pleasant day!
____________________________

My first full day in Normal was a full one: we took HD to the bike shop and discussed its repair needs with the owner and one of his employees; visited Cheryl and Dick---Cheryl had dental surgery that morning but all went better than expected, went to lunch with Russ’ sister-in-law Jan (from first wife Lynn), did a little shopping, and watched The Last Stand--Shwarzenegger’s most recent movie. Apparently, now that Arnold is no longer governor of California, he is back in the movies. He was looking strong but you could tell he was moving much slower and stiffer than when he was The Terminator or Conan The Barbarian! (We all get older, even movie stars and governors. Drat.) He will continue to do action movies but apparently now as the older, smarter leading man than the younger, stronger leading man from yesteryear. I think that is called Evolution. Of a sort.

On Saturday, July 27th, we had lunch with my “first cousin once removed”, Dan Kearney. Dan and I have shared emails and FB messages for several years now and he has kept fairly good track of Kearney geneology. We ate a fantastic lunch at Biaggi’s while Dan kept us entertained on telling us bits and pieces of his life as well as talking about various towns in Illinois and their special features. The night before, his girlfriend broke up with him, so he was working to keep his attitude light while his friends and family were working at that very moment on getting him fixed up with a few dates. 

“The best way for a man to heal a broken heart,” he said, “is to get back on the saddle and start dating immediately. The only way I can effectively recover is if I have another girlfriend.” Yet, we could tell he really loved his “former” girlfriend and it was a difficult blow.

Breaking up is a hard, hard thing. 

In the afternoon, I worked on completing the Iowa blog while sitting at Starbucks and then Russ and I watched another movie: Cloud Atlas.  Now this movie I loved. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I absolutely loved it. Violent, tender, horrifying, and with subtle and strong messages threaded throughout, this sci-fi is worth seeing. Don’t see it if you don’t like piecing together the relations between multiple scenes and time frames. Like flashbacks and flashforwards and stories across time and space. It is not a story that takes you simply from point A to Z. Be prepared to think a little. If you don’t want to think, i.e., you just want entertainment, don’t watch this one. 

On Sunday, July 28th, Russ and I drove to Chatham, Illinois, to see my cousin Shelley, her husband Ken, and my Aunt Pat. Shelley and Ken live in a lovely home in a garden setting on the southern end of town. My aunt Pat was her lovely, friendly, talkative self and I so enjoyed hearing old stories of growing up in Bradford, Illinois. Shelley had fruit and tasty breads set out and Ken kept us supplied with coffee. After a tour around the garden, Zachary and his family arrived: wife Hana, son Nick, and daughter Alicia. We chatted through the late morning and into the early evening, during which time we ate a sumptous Sunday meal prepared by Shelley and Ken, with Ken commandeering the barbecue  outside and Shelley slicing and dicing the delectables inside. The conversation was lively and you could see the Cameys are not shy about talking, asking questions, and sharing opinions. With a Camey mother and a Kearney father, my siblings and I have all the Irish and European mix we need to be talkative, opinionated, and curious about every one and every thing. It felt like conversation around the dinner table in my childhood home again!!

We discussed local and world issues, cultures, foods, health, what everyone is doing, and then, what we love.  My cousin Shelley loves her family most of all. She enjoys her gardening but more enjoys sitting outside to absorb the sights and sounds than the physical labour of the gardening. She loves to travel and see the country---be it city or country. She loves a view and thus enjoys the open fields of the Midwest and the expanse of the desert more than she does a deep forest. She is an avid reader and is involved in a local reading group. 

Ken answered quickly that he loves his wife. (I always did think that Ken was top drawer). He loves to work in the family business and Shelley says he enjoys making breakfast for the family. He loves to take care of his family and is quite the host. The coffee was flowing that day, due to his close attention. He has a big heart for loved one and he personally went to pick up his mother-in-law, my Aunt Pat, to bring her to the gathering. 

My Aunt says she loves “everything”: just being alive and getting up in the morning. “I have had a good life and I get along with everyone” she says. My Aunt has a great sense of humour, almost a wicked sense of humour, which I really enjoy. I always loved going to visit her when I was little. I found her relaxing to my spirit---she could sit quietly, make me feel loved, and take me for walks around her house and yard. She showed me how to pick blueberries. She even baked pies! This was a skill I admired---still do. A well turned pie crust takes a delicate hand. Memories...

Zachary works with his dad, Ken, in the family office furniture business. Passions? He enjoys studying the news and world economics. He has an MBA and we discussed how money works and I could have talked to him all day. He mostly loves his family. He enjoys running but really likes to travel. He enjoys travel for a number of reasons: sometimes just for the fun of it, sometimes to learn the history of a place, the culture, taste the foods, see the sights. The whole experience.

Hana is Zach’s wife. She is a lively, beautiful woman and a devoted mother. She loves colors and interior decorating. She enjoys travel and learning and, most of all, her family--both in Korea and in the States. She is bright and articulate and whisked around her mother-in-law’s kitchen with familiar expertise. 

Nick is a quiet young man of 14 but hung out with the adults the entire afternoon. He play-punched his dad on several occasions and wore a shirt advertising a triathlon in which he participated. He enjoys martial arts, cross country running, and “stuff”. The family said he really loves learning on the internet. Zach said his son sends him news articles on the net throughout the day. He is a bright, thoughtful young man. 

Alicia was a little shy around me, but I could see that she had a certain confidence that suggests she will be quite a force! She is a very pretty young lady and said she loves to play pokemon, swimming, and hanging out with her friends. She likes to have her friends spend the night. She is a modern young lady. She stood often by her mom and teased her dad during the afternoon. I think she likes her parents!

How wonderful to spend the day with my cousin and her family.

Monday, July 29. Dad and I headed north to Starved Rock. This is an historical site along the Illinois River where the Ottawa and Pottawatomie tribes besieged the Illini (Illinois Confederation) on a butte near Fort St. Louis, trapping them on the hill, until the entire Illini tribe starved to death. Hence the name. This park area is an archeaological site and a US National Historical Landmark. We took a boat ride along the Illinois River and viewed Starved Rock, Lover’s Leap Rock, and one of the 16 locks that bring boats and barges on the Illinois River to the Missippi River. We ate a fruit filled lunch and took a brief hike. Then, on to Peru, Illinois for a pleasant, restful evening at La Quinta Inn, where I spent the evening uploading photos, checking some emails, and perusing maps. I had a veggie omelette at iHop next to the motel for dinner, while Russ had fried chicken. What a pleasant day.

The next day, Russ and I partook of the continental hotel breakfast and then drove to Kewanee, Illinois to visit my Aunt Phyllis. A word about this lovely lady. She was the 2nd, and final wife, of my Uncle Bob. Bob was my mother’s brother. Since I grew up in southern California and my uncle lived in Illinois, I never really knew his 2nd wife, Phyllis. I had met her on some family reunions back in Illinois, but had not really ever spent any personal time with her. My Uncle Bob was a talkative, knowledgeable man who led the conversations and this sweet lady stood by his side and took care of him when he became ill in his later years and died of that big bad beast called cancer. I hate cancer.

Anyway, my mother often talked about Phyllis when I was a young adult, saying she was more of a Camey than most Cameys!  Phylllis is one of those delightful ladies who keeps track of all family members and nieces and nephews and cousins and friends. She cares about family---that is her passion. When my mother became ill and was diagnosed with terminal cancer, my aunt Phyllis called several times to talk to me and even managed a few brief conversations with my poor mom--by which time by mother could not remember the conversations due to short term memory loss. But her longterm memory survived till death. Mom sure remembered Phyllis and would recall family games with Phyllis and the great friendship they shared. After Mom died, Phyllis called me a few times just to offer comfort and to check on me. Here was this relative that I really only knew from what my mother had told me----and yet she took the time to call often during mom’s illness.  

So, I decided that I must visit her when I reached Illinois. I needed to thank her for being who she is--a truly beautiful lady. 

I have many relatives in Illinois but visited only a few, concentrating on those with whom I had spoken in the last few years. This was primarily related to my mother.  She died in February 2012; her wake was held on March 10, 2012. I didn’t have time or transportation to visit all of my cousins and their families in Illinois. That part saddens me, as I believe many cousins on my dad’s side stayed in small Illinois towns and it would have been great to see them. But times and transportation issues prevented spending more time in Illinois and thus those potential visits. 

But, I did visit those whose presence I have felt in my life for these last several years---my cousin Shelley, my Aunt Pat, Aunt Phyllis, and my dad’s cousin Dan---who is close to my own age. And of course, Russ Dalton, who is more like a dad than any girl could ever wish to have. I loved my own father---he died at 69. But he was a lost soul and struggled with understanding himself, as well as reaching out to others. But Russ became my dad when he married my mom---they were both in their 60’s and I in my 30’s. No matter how old we get, we feel the need for a parent, don’t we? And Russ has treated me as his own. I feel I have a whole new family in Russ’ daughter Cheryl, her husband Dick, and all their wonderful children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. What a nice family.

So, back to the visit with Phyllis. She invited my aunt Vi to lunch so I had the added pleasure of seeing an unexpected relative--fantastic! The first hour was just with Aunt Phyllis, who shared photos of children and grandchildren. She moved to Kewanee to be near her son Donny, who visits her daily. Still, Phyllis misses the city life of Peoria and is torn. She wants to be near her son, but would like to live in a bigger, more active city. She spoke often of her granddaughter Lily who recently graduated from high school. I think she might even like to live closer to Lily. But we find we can’t always follow our children or grandchildren nowadays. The little rascals keep moving. I know that my own wanderlust used to frustrate my mom, as she would have liked to live closer to me throughout my adulthood. I admit that I missed her often. We move for jobs and opportunities and often that means a distant life.

My aunt Vi came when lunch was about ready. She had gotten involved in a movie about a young man who had been blessed, or cursed, with the gift of healing. The involvement in the movie, she said, kept her from coming earlier. This was just as well, giving me a chance to talk to Phyllis. It also gave Vi and I a conversation topic from which to springboard. We talked about the potential curse of being able to heal others with a simple touch, and one must think long and hard before they should wish for certain “gifts”. As the saying goes, “To he whom much is given, much is required”. 

Vi is an adoring grandma and great grandma. Her devoted passions are her progeny and her faith. She loves God deeply and is thoroughly involved in her church, prayer chains, etc. She has the joyous opportunity of babysiting great grandchildren often and this little senior maintains the zeal of youth.

Does loving children give you the gift of boundless energy longer than most? Or does the physical work of chasing the little whippersnappers around give you the exercise you need to stay young longer? Maybe both...

Russ and I headed back to Normal in the early afternoon. I was so full from the delicious lunch Aunt Phyllis had prepared! We made a detour to see Bradford, my mother’s childhood home town. We located the house in which she was raised and asked a resident about the location of the old town pool hall. My grandfather had been the town constable and he also ran the pool hall. It hasn’t been a pool hall for several years but I shot a few photos regardless. 

When we got “home” to Normal, we had about an hour before Cheryl and Dick came to pick us up and take us to grandson Rusty’s house. Mary, Rusty’s wife, had spent the late afternoon, after her workday, preparing a delightful spread for dinner. OMG! Another meal? Yikes!  But, I told myself I would watch calories later.  Or not.

Mary is colorful. Her home is filled with color, with each room a different hue---or several hues! Vibrant, energetic, just like her. We got a tour of their yard---really a garden with a cacophany of color around every corner and crevice. Simply lovely. The meal was a replication of the same: sliced fruits and vegetables of every color and flavor imaginable. Artisan breads and salads.  

My kind of meal! Wow!

Mary loves her husband and children; her grandchild; bright, deep colors; working outside; and fresh air. She also seemed to enjoy putting out that wonderful spread for us. I really like Mary.

Rusty and his dad, Dick, are very close. They talked about cars, Nascar, and how to work the advanced remote for modern television. Man talk! 

Cheryl, Russ’ daughter, loves her family first and foremost. She and Dick are very involved in all their grandchildren’s lives and used to play babysitter for the ones still in school. Now, their youngest 2 grandchildren, Dakota and Arianna, are in high school and very involved in sports. Most weekends and many weeknights during the school year are spent attending the myriad sports events of these 2 active, well-adjusted kids. This is Dick and Cheryl’s joy. 

Cheryl is also quite involved with their small church. She does the bookkeeping for the church and she and Dick are integral members of this church. They help with every activity and Russ and I don’t know what the church would do without them. Cheryl went in for dental surgery during my visit. Before her surgery, she prepared several Sundays’ worth of baked goods for the “after church coffee hour”, because she would not be able to cook for several days. This little dynamo cooked and packaged the church foods and also the meals for herself and Dick for several weeks. 

She is one organized, tireless lass.  

Cheryl is devoted to her family. She checks on her dad every day and, if she and Dick are going out of town, she assigns family members to check on him. She calls family members regularly to keep track of everyone and is the true matriarch of the family.

Dick is a car fan. He and his sons, Rusty and Jason, renovated an old ’32 Chevy coach, and, for years now, he and Cheryl have taken it to car shows. They have an awards room just for the trophies they have garnered. The Chevy is painted in a fascinating pearl gray and lavender. You know---the pearlesscent paint that changes color depending on the lighting?

(I change, too, in the lighting. I find that a self auto portrait from an iphone with a flash shows all my wrinkles and makes me look very old. How come I don’t look that old when I see myself in the mirror? Maybe because I am standing farther away from the mirror and my eyesight isn’t what it used to be! LOL! )

So, Dick loves his family and cars. He loves watching Nascar, going to car shows, and talking “shop”. He is a man’s man. And he is very generous with his time and energy. What a fine gent.

This is a wonderful example of a close midwestern family. Tight, loving, helpful, generous, and always involved with family and community. Beautiful.

And now for Russ---that sweet, loving man who has “adopted” me as his own. What does he love? Taking care of family. He has been taking care of family since he was 18. He took such good care of his first wife, Marilynn, or “Lynn”. He worked 3 jobs when the kids were little and he took the provider role very seriously. He stood by her through years of illness and then had to whisper goodbye when she died of cancer. Then, he married my mom and they enjoyed several years of dancing, some traveling, and fun with friends. Her last years of life were riddled with pain and she suffered from cancer for almost 2 years. Now, he keeps track of family and friends through Facebook. He worked for State Farm Insurance for over 40 years and still maintains contact with friends he made during that time. He knows everything going on with grandchildren and great grandchildren through Facebook. He is 85 but is certainly keeping up with the technology! 

His other passion is music. He and Lynn, and later, he and my mom Betty, danced extensively. He says he often doesn’t even hear the lyrics to most of the songs. He listens to music for the beat, rhythm, and pattern. He still often dances in his mind, figuring out the steps to take. He used to teach country western dance with my mother. He has tried to teach me as well, but I often forget the steps between these lessons. I tend to be more of a rock ‘n roller, moving as I feel inspired. I have to learn how to take cues with organized dance. But it is quite fun, even if I need regular “relearning”. Russ misses the dancing but needs a partner to get him out on the dance floor.

On Wednesday, I spent some time writing and uploading the Iowa blog and jotting down notes.  In the afternoon, I picked Henry David up from Wilson’s bike shop. The bill was high but I was assured that HD would go another 5000 miles without a problem. That certainly makes the cost of repair worthwhile. 

On the morning of Thursday, August 1st, 2012, HD and I headed north out of Normal, Illinois. At the north end of town, we hopped onto route 66. Back in 1964, when my family moved from Chicago to LA, we traveled the entire Route 66 when it was all the rage. Later, the interstate system was constructed, which put route 66 out of use. Hence the animated movie “Cars” was filmed. This movie is about a classic car and route 66---and how we neglect some of our heritage that perhaps should not be put to rest. I remember going through all the towns with drive-ins and carhops, rock n roll music, and passing all the tourist attractions. Dad was a “point A to point B” driver. Stop only when you absolutely have to. And kids, hold your pee!!

I remember wishing and wishing we could stop at one of those drive-ins and certainly I wanted to see the “Trading Posts” in the southwest. Later, when I took my own kids to the Grand Canyon, I made it a point to stop frequently at all these little stops. It was fun.
It was like attention deficit disorder---ooooh, look at that! Stop and see. Oooh! Look at that! Stop and see again!  

So, HD and and I rode on route 66 to Chenoa, about 22 miles of road. Part of that was on the preserved original highway (next to the new “old 66”), complete with weeds coming through the old asphalt. Chenoa and Lexingston keep about a 1 mile stretch nice and clean near each town. They put old route 66 signs up along the preserved portions and I felt like I was 6 again. 

But they definitely ought to locate some old fashioned diners near the highway. I would like to drive the old route completely some day, Chicago to Los Angeles, and I betcha there are some classic diners and tourist attractions along the way. Like poorly kept museums of mummies and dinosaur bones, local diners with strong coffee and sweet milkshakes and greasy french fries, trading posts with indian dolls made in china, gem shops with locally mined rocks, leather wallets and moccasins, and earrings sold in Arizona but made in Minnesota. Don’t forget the scorpions and tarantulas preserved in plastic resin paperweights! You know: AMERICA!!

At Chenoa, I turned east. I wanted to turn west and visit Gridley and El Paso, Illinois and look up cousins, but I needed to move forward. So, HD and I turned right onto highway 24. It was a pleasant ride all day to Gilman, Illinois.  Motel 6 gave me a good night’s rest, as there were no campgrounds in the nearby area.

My Illinois visit had been wonderful, beginning to end. Now to move east and see Lake Erie, Niagara Falls, and Lake Ontario. Woohoo! 

1 comment: