Friday, September 27, 2013

Delmarva, Ho!


Tuesday, Sept 10, 2013.

Henry David and I headed southeast from Philadelphia and entered Delaware. We traveled south on S Dupont Hwy 13. 

Ahhhh: Highway 13 through that entire landmass that includes Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia---now that is what I’m talkin’ about!  Man oh man, what a great road. Flat, smooth, and with a shoulder the entire way, except through the little towns dotting the road. The towns in Delaware were nicely planted every 5-20 miles, keeping me comfortable and energized. 

At one of these little towns, I stopped at a Family Dollar store and purchased a few paperbacks and some grooming articles.  About an hour or two later, I noted HD’s pace slowed markedly and I looked down at the left chain. The plastic bag from the store was caught in the chain. This happens from time to time---a bag or shirt that I think is tucked away in the cargo area starts to slip out and catches on the chain. Then it wraps around the chain multiple times until the chain is not seated nicely on the sprocket and the whole operation stops. 

In this case, all the contents of the bag had apparently been lost on the road quite some time ago, leaving only the paperbacks perched on the edge of HD’s frame. But that was not the bad part.  I worked at unwinding the bag from the chain and the jackshaft. The plastic had wrapped around the shaft so many times and was strung so tight that it had sheared off the jackshaft bolt. Uh oh. Who knew a plastic bag could withstand that kind of stress and beat up a metal bolt?  

I was pulled over on the side of the road at the north edge of New Castle. I saw that I was at a corner, where I needed to turn anyway, and I pulled into the parking lot of an auto repair business and an ice cream shop. I searched my phone internet for bike shops and called the two that were within 8 miles. Neither one had a service department or bike mechanics.

So, I walked over to the auto shop and met Eric, the owner of the auto repair shop. I told him my problem and he instructed me to bring HD into the bay. He removed the remains of the bolt head and found a replacement and attached it soundly.  I asked him what was my charge and he waved me off, saying, “Have a nice day”. 

So, I said, “At least let me get you an ice cream, then!” He said, “OK--I would love a water ice!” We walked next door and he ordered a bubble gum flavored water ice and I got myself a soft serve cone. I had the opportunity to talk briefly with Eric. While he enjoys working on cars and owning his own business, his passion is music. Almost any kind of music. He plays the guitar and was trained by a professional jazz musician. His personal style veers towards bluesy jazz. He has played with a successful band and did some serious traveling for gigs. Now, he plays for his own enjoyment but is seriously considering getting another band going. 

I wish Eric all the success he desires.

After the jackshaft bolt shearing business, HD and I went on our way to Lums Pond Campground. We spent a quiet night in the trees. I ate cheese and jalapeno chips and apples. Of course, there was a nice, big brownie for desert. Heaven in Delaware.

____________________________________

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013. 
I started the day on Hwy 71 till it met Hwy 13 again. It was another lovely day in September with great roads and friendly faces. Flags were flying today in commemoration of 9-11 and some of the convenience stores I visited had their televisions on with news reports reviewing the heroic efforts of the people who tried to help the twin tower victims 12 years ago. Interviews of family members were being conducted to see how people have learned to emotionally survive their personal tragedies and the loss of loved ones. It reminded me how we humans are capable of the most heinous crimes against each other as well as the most heroic, self-sacrificing deeds to save each other. 

I had plans to go to Killens Pond State Campground so I stopped in Dover at a Burger King to grab a drink and check the maps. The camp was another 10 miles away but I wanted to make sure all my ducks were in a row and they had space for me. The state campgrounds are often somewhat spartan and I was not guaranteed access to electricity. I grabbed a drink and an ice cream cone, in honor of Norman, who had told me to “got get a milkshake”.  This was close, I figured. I searched out a booth with an electrical outlet and there was only one in the dining area, so I made a beeline for the corner table and sat down to plug in my phone for a good charging session. 

Next to the table sat Steve and Bill.  Steve struck up a conversation, stating he saw me earlier when he had driven on highway 13 to pick up his friend Bill. Steve posed several questions and the three of us enjoyed a nice conversation. Steve asked how I decide where I am going to stay each night and I explained that I usually plan ahead a few days to use campground--if they are en route. If there are no campgrounds, I usually go through Priceline or Expedia, although sometimes I can pick up a cheap motel by just driving into a town. That was more successful on the west coast than the east coast, however. I had plans to go to the state park that night, but Steve suggested I stay with him and his wife.  He called her on the phone right then and there and she graciously agreed to provide a patch of lawn or the guest room. 

YAY! This allowed me some extra time to do more travel planning and even to go to Walmart to pick up a few things that I had lost on the bike the day before. I pulled into Steve and Diane’s yard shortly after 5 pm; they were standing in the driveway, waving me in with a most wonderful welcome.  They suggested I use the guest room and I gratefully moved in for the night. They even offered their washing machine, so I did a small load---now I could make it over the Chesapeake Bay without needing any clothes washed.  Diane put together a delightful vegetarian meal with some leftover zucchini & black bean casserole that was simply out of this world. She served it with salsa and guacamole and a plate of fresh fruit and veggies. I had 2 servings of the casserole and I thought they would need to carry me away from the table. 

Steve and Diane were both in the airforce for several years. Diane worked in supplies and Steve worked in jet fuel inspection. He was sent overseas several times to inspect fuels supplied by local vendors in the Middle East. On one of his trips back to base, he asked the lovely Diane for a date. About a year later, the knot was tied and is still in great form, holding strong and steady. 

Steve has had 5 cardiac stents and yet he is still pretty young. So, he now works on small engine repairs and this keeps him out of trouble. Some times. He enjoys repair work, gardening, his older buddy Bill, socializing and meeting people, and his Harley Davidson.

Diane now works as a civilian for the Airforce Base in Dover. She connects service personnel and their families with the supplies and services they need to live  comfortable, productive lives. It is interesting that this job requires quite a bit of daily research as there are military contracts for everything. Thus, needing a lightbulb becomes a politically involved service. OK---that may be an exaggeration, but Diane jumps through hoops all day long to connect request with response---using the approved businesses and services.

Diane enjoys working and she also enjoys relaxing at night, slowing down and just enjoying a quiet evening. This might be watching TV or talking to her grown sons or---maybe even going dancing!

Steve and Diane have been great parents. They have 2 sons and the eldest is engaged to be married in one month. He works in management at Panera and so does his bride-to-be. Panera is a chain of restaurants that serve sandwiches primarily---but they are most known for their bread--- “Panera”. Those of you with some foreign language skills will have recognized the root word “pan”, meaning bread in Spanish and I imagine in most latin languages. 

The younger son is still in college and is studying forensic psychology. He is an NCIS and Crime Scene fan---these are 2 television series shows that focus on crimes and how forensic science is used to catch the perps.

I headed upstairs around 9 pm, talked a bit on the phone, read a bit of a new novel I picked up, and fell soundly asleep on that wonderful bed with the perfect pillows. I awakened minutes before my iPhone alarm went off, turned the thing off, and eventually got my stuff together. After goodbye hugs, I was cycling down the street by 7:30 am. 

Delaware was a delightful, short, sweet state. Steve says it is the best kept secret in the USA. According to him, when people refer to his state, they say “Dela-where?” 

Apparently, Delawarians have a good sense of humor. 

________________________________
Thursday, Sept 12th, 2013
It was a beautiful day riding hwy 13 to Salisbury, Maryland. I was passed by dozens of groups of motorcycle riders. The mystery was solved around midday when I passed through Seaford, Delaware. This is the weekend of the 12th Annual Delmarva Bike Rally. All the towns for 30 miles in every direction were filling up with bikers.  I really enjoy bikers, aka motorcyle riders, as they often nod their head or wave hello. HD and I are slow and we have no motor, but HD cuts a nice figure and many bikers claim solidarity with HD and I. 

Henry David really does cut a fine figure.

Several hours later, I figured out what “Delmarva” meant. I thought it was just a town or something. But I saw numerous billboards along the highway with this word combined with businesses and events. Delmarva Rally, Delmarva Orthodontics, Delmarva Center, Delmarva Eye Care. AHA!! Delmarva stood for Delaware--Maryland--Virginia. I guess it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Those three states constitute this land mass which is about 230 miles long. The entire “Delmarva” section of the USA was one of my favorite cycling experiences, with consistently wonderful roads and friendly people. 

It took quite awhile, all day actually, to get to Salisbury, Maryland. There was a headwind most of the day and this seriously slowed down the cycling progress. I won’t complain about the extra effort. I just found out that those very winds swept a fire along the boardwalk in Seaside, New Jersey. This town hadn’t recovered yet from Hurricane Sandy last year. The businesses on the boardwalk were still in repair. Luckily, no one was hurt, as far as I know. But there may be a few businesses on the boardwalk that may seriously suffer. 
____________________
Friday the 13th: My mom swore this day always brought her good luck. So, I’m going with it!

It stormed last night and I was very glad to be in a motel. Because I snacked on my cargo of fruit, granola bars, and some leftover potato chips, I was able to refrain from spending the money and gorging at the Golden Corral, which was strategically planted about 1/2 block away. Whew! 

This morning, I did avail myself of the continental breakfast at the Days Inn--which was only bread products--no fruit or yogurt. But the coffee was good and I ate a bagel with cream cheese. Bagels are like bricks--they stay with you much longer than you really want them to, but at least I didn’t get hungry for several hours of cycling after eating the bagel brickbar.

Today’s ride was truly delightful. It was 90% on back roads through Maryland. These roads are well maintained and very quiet and meandered primarily through farmland and woods. I have noticed an increasing number of pine trees as I move near the coast. It reminded me of the coastal redwoods in central and northern California.  However, these pines are very tall but not as thick or lush as the pacific redwoods. Perhaps they are younger--logging having cleared the land a few times over. Nevertheless, the heady scent of pine filled the air today and I really was in heaven. Interestingly, I also passed by several fields of honeysuckle. 

Imagine---pine and honeysuckle and the light scent of ocean air. My senses were whirling!

I went through very few actual towns: Fruitland followed right on the tail of Salisbury, so it wasn’t even like going from one town to the next. About 20 miles after that was Pocomoke City, MD. Cute name, I thought. Then, no more towns or villages all the way to the campground---which is not far past the border into Virginia. Because I traveled back roads, I was not greeted by a state welcome sign.  That has happened a few times on this trip and I am always just a little sad when I don’t see the “Welcome To...”.

I camped at Tall Pine Harbor Campground in Virginia along the Pocomoke Sound by the Chesapeake Bay. Yay! I enjoyed camping by the water again. My tent was pitched right under those tall pines. Lovely. 

I washed my tent in the single machine laundry room here, did my exercises, showered, and walked back and forth to the beach. I took photos, laid on my back on the pier and listened to the water, and even put my feet in the water. The Pacific Ocean is cold in North America and I thought the Atlantic would be even colder. But a few months ago, I was told that it is actually warmer, due to the effects of the Gulf jet stream. Really? Hmmmm. So, I tried it out and whaddyknow? It was warm!

I’m falling in love with the Atlantic.

And the romance continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment