Saturday, May 11, 2013

Santa Barbara!


On Monday, April 22nd, I left Granada Hills and headed for Ventura. Hill time! I cycled through Simi Valley and next to fields of strawberries, cabbage, leaf lettuce, dill, and grapes, as well as orchards of lemons and oranges and avocados. The scents filled the air. I wanted to stop at roadside stands or to gather strawberries for dinner. But, I cycled on to Ventura. 

I had planned on staying at McGrath State Beach but it was closed due to flooding. And it was, indeed, flooded. Looked like that state beach was planted on a wetland. It is supposed to be open in about a month. I don’t know how that would be possible. It looked like a swamp. 

I thought there were no more state campgrounds in the Ventura area so I got onto Expedia and secured a room at the Country Inn & Suites for a great price. After the room was confirmed, I passed by the San Buenaventura State Beach Campground. I had no idea it was there. But, I had to cycle on or lose my doh-re-mi that I had charged for the motel room. On the upside: It was 2 blocks from the beach and less than half the price of those motel/hotels that were only 1 block from the beach! I parked the cycle in my huge room on the bottom floor (the man at the desk was really great about the trike) and then took a long walk on the beach. I then did my core exercises and stretches in the room while watching old movies on TV. I told myself I should be uploading those rascal photos. But I really enjoyed stretching and lollygagging on that big, overstuffed bed. Lord, I could get spoiled like this!

They serve the most incredible buffet breakfast for a motel. Hot and cold foods, fruit, yoghurt, coffee, and juice. I had 8 oz of blueberry yoghurt with granola and raisins sprinkled on top and grabbed a banana for the trip. Two cups of coffee later, with Henry David loaded up, I was ready to roll. It was time to be off for Santa Barbara, my old stomping grounds. 

Tuesday, April 23nd--off to SB. I cycled along the beach on bike paths, sandiched between the ocean on the left and the railroad and Hwy1/101 on the right. Shortly after Rincon, I ran out of beach road and entered the 101. Due to construction, cyclists were exited within a few miles. No problem there---it was then lovely (hilly, of course!) roads through Carpinteria and Summerland, all the way into Santa Barbara, ending up on Cabrillo Bvd, which skirts a lake on the right hand side, and that lovely shoreline on the left. Resorts, volleyball on the beach, the popular pier, surrey cycles, runners, cyclists, walkers, tourists, and the harbour. It was all so familiar and beloved. There is even quite a bit of grass---like miles of lawn, separating the pedestrian and cycle lanes from the sand. So you even stay clean---nice for the cycle chains, I must say. Cabrillo becomes Shoreline Dr, and I followed that road up the hill to get to Shersy and Tom’s house. 

No one was home, so I unloaded HD into their backyard, then rode my buddy trike up and over more hills. He was much lighter without all that gear and the hills were like cake!! I came around the north end of State Street to drop down to Cranky’s Bike Shop, where I was greeted by Jim, the owner, and one of his employees. They took HD to give him a good bath and checkup, while I walked down State Street. 

Ahhhh, memories. When I had left Santa Barbara in 2000 to take advantage of an excellent career opportunity in New Mexico, I cried all the way to the Arizona border. At that point, I accepted my fate and moved to the Land Of Enchantment. But. I always miss my California coast life.

State Street is THE street in Santa Barbara for all tourists. Even residents love it. But you try to avoid driving on it. Cycling on State is much faster than driving it. Coffee shops, bakeries, hemp clothing, bicycles, and theatres for both movies and live shows, artfully designed outdoor malls--a hubbub of activity.  Let’s not forget about the food (I never forget about the food!): Indian, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, Vegetarian, Seafood, and any kind of Unique you want. Between the floral scents and the food smells---you wonder why there are so many skinny people walking around. One could eat out every day for a year and still only put a dent in the options. I felt hungry consistently whenever on State Street. I think it’s a well designed and devious plan. 

On the whole, Californians tend to be fit and they exercise alot. A LOT! This is such a beautiful state, north to south and east to west. It begs people to go outside and move. And most of them do. Happily and gratefully. Walking and hiking are free and burn a lot of calories. Cycling is very cheap and also burns it up. Then there are the sports for the more skilled or dedicated: surfing, volleyball, skating, skiing in water or snow, rock and mountain climbing, sailing. Even playing frisbee. Much of it cheap or free, if you want it. So, gourmet food seems to fit in just fine. Work hard, play hard, eat well, enjoy your life. A new mantra by which to thrive. 

After dropping off Henry David and drinking coffee and then talking for over an hour to Carola--one of my closest friends with whom I had lost close to 4 years of contact---I headed back to Shersy’s house. It was so wonderful to talk to Carola that I felt exuberant the rest of the day. Shersy was home waiting for me and then took me to Brophy Bros for dinner. While waiting for our table (it’s one of the most popular spots in town--right on the harbour), we went outside and watched the ships unload their catch. 

About three fishing boats were hoisting their catch into large truck containers---all of them filled with sea urchins. Shersy explained that urchins are a popular delicacy in Japan. They are absolutely fascinating. They were deep burgundy in color and one of the fishermen took the time to show us one and let us hold it. It is spikey with relatively blunt ends, although they look sharp. These spikes move and react to touch and environmental signs. In the middle of the elliptical shaped creature is a set of 5 hard, white teeth, shaped in a circle. The urchin mouth opens and pulls in its food with these teeth. Totally cool. I wondered what it looked like under the shell. I found out a few moments later. Apparently, a few of the critters had fallen off one of the trucks and the seagulls had taken care of “clean up”. They had cracked open the urchins and plucked out the inside meat for a gourmet meal. One of the urchins was totally picked clean from the inside. So--here were these 2 outer shell halves--hard shells. The teeth and spikes were still intact and still moving, while the insides were totally gone--so apparently it works by reflex. The inner meat looks nondescript---or only appeared that way. I am sure there is an entire network of nerves, vessels, muscles. Are there eyes? A brain? Or just muscle, nerves, and digestive processes? Plant or Animal? 

Apparently, it is considered an animal. They do not have a brain but do have a digestive system and their spikes have some light receptor cells, but no eyes, as we would know them. They react to light and movement. Oh yeah, by the way. Their little teeth can chew through rock.

How fascinating life is.

My daughter Shannon arrived later in the evening. Shannon and Shersy have been close friends since high school, even though my daughter only lived in Santa Barbara about 4 1/2 months. It goes to show you that you can know someone briefly, yet the resultant relationship may last forever. 

The next day, the weather was drizzly and cool. Shannon hunkered down by a space heater in the garage and continued her communications work. I took lunch down to Shersy in the early afternoon and she showed me around. 

Shersy works for The Dream Foundation. This is an NPO that fulfills dreams of terminally ill adults. Everyone has heard of the Make A Wish Foundation, which fulfills dreams of terminally ill children. But The Dream Foundation is just as worthy of our attention. Young and old adults, rich and poor, every culture, creed and religion are represented and have their dreams fulfilled. These dreams range in scope from seemingly small things like a family dinner to bigger events like seeing a famous national monument or meeting a famous person. There are even Disneyland and DisneyWorld wishes--as many parents with terminal illnesses want to take their children (and grandchildren) to Disneyland as a memorable family event before they die. The stories are touching and beautiful.

Shersy’s job is to coordinate the dreams. She figures out the logistics of their wish: what is needed? Hotels? Motels? Transportation? Tickets? Meals? Who is involved? Will a famous person agree to be met? (Some famous people always decline; others always agree with compassion to meet these folks). I asked Shersy how she handles it--does she get attached? When her clients die, does she grieve? Do some of the clients pass away before their dreams are fulfilled? 

She answered that, yes, she does get attached. To some, more than others. She gets attached to those with whom she spends more time on the phone coordinating the plans. And those individuals who are perhaps more talkative or animated or generous or thoughtful. Most of them have supportive families who are all on board for making their loved one’s wish come true. 

At first, Shersy grieved all the time when her clients died, or she had to stand by, feeling helpless, while they declined. Some of them die before their wishes are fulfilled. But here is the cool thing. It is the act of planning the dream fulfillment that these clients enjoy so much. They are surrounded by medications, doctors, and nurses, and family members grieving while the person is still alive and aware. These are all important and valuable relationships, but often stand as a reminder of the brevity of life. But then, there is this DREAM, something to plan for, to hope for, to think about. This brings this dying person out of their situation, to something “normal”. A vacation to plan. One more cool adventure.

It really IS about the journey. 

I had the golden opportunity to meet most of Shersy’s co-workers. All big hearted, bright, beautiful people. They work on about 20-25 dreams each day. That’s a lot of juggling. These are dedicated folks, most of them women. 

The only gent I met was the big boss man, Tom, an avid cyclist. Slender, personable, and passionate about his dog, his cycle, his partner, and getting up every day to enjoy life. 

Val is a lady that was a welcome well of information about traveling, camping, the central coast. She is a middle aged woman who apparently never stops. I like that.

Then there was Christie (I hope I remember her name correctly---really, I’ve gotta start writing this stuff down!). She has a master’s degree in clinical psychology. She loves  her husband, her daughters, helping people, and writing. When she got her master’s degree, she and hubby pulled up their stakes and grabbed their girls, and, without a complete plan, moved to Costa Rica for 5 years. They bought a house near the coast, built 2 cabinas, and Christie started a counseling business for displaced Americans while her husband followed his passion, videography, and made it a career. They moved back to the states when their oldest daughter wanted to spend her senior year in high school in more familiar territory. Now, both daughters are in college and Christie and her husband live happily in Santa Barbara. They still own the Costa Rica home and cabinas and rent them out as an extra income. Christie is absolutely lovely. Not a line in her tanned face; healthy blonde hair and toned body. She plays beach volleyball. She’s a knockout. Intelligent, kindhearted, thoughtful. 

One of the staff members does all the Disney coordinating. Apparently, the Disney Corporation does a lot of wish fulfilling for the terminally ill. Mostly, they grant passes for young clients from the Make A Wish Foundation, as the Disney Corp is children oriented. However, because the adults from The Dream Foundation often choose Disney locations as their special dream, primarily to benefit their own children, their wishes are often granted as well. 

I grew up with Disney. On Sunday nights, we would gather round the TV to watch Bonanza and The Wonderful World Of Disney. Walt Disney was still alive then, and he introduced all the shows and movies on his program. When I was a kid, I did a grade school report on him. He was initially an animator. He changed the world of animation. He was a sharp business man and a visionary. 

I didn’t get the opportunity to see much of Tom, Shersy’s husband, on this trip. He was in and out of the house all day but quite busy. I really like Tom---he is an Irishman who grew up in London. He has a fantastic sense of humor and a gentle soul, even though he is a gun toting security guard with a mean aim. He often covers security for gala events for the rich and famous. He also loves the ocean and is a skilled scuba diver. For fun. For now. 

Shannon and I spent a few hours together on that last day. We shared heartfelt hugs the following morning as she went back to her career and I went back to Henry David and the road. 

It was time to say goodbye to Santa Barbara again. But I know I will be back again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment