Sunday, June 30, 2013

Billings, Montana


The morning of June 23rd, 2013 was a beautiful Sunday. The weather was quite warm and the sky was clear. What a lovely day, but oh, so many miles! I was happy to see a nice sized town called Columbus, with several travel-friendly stops by the interstate. I popped into the McDonalds to grab some iced coffee and then went outside to sit at a table near my trike, check my paper map, and rest a moment. No sooner had I parked the tush at the bench than two very handsome young men plopped down right across from me. What a pleasure. Life has its rewards!

They had decided to come talk to me because of the human powered Henry David---he really does generate interest and opens doors. I was wearing a rainbow colored “doo-rag” on my head, so they thought maybe I was headed for the Rainbow Coalition Gathering. Or just a traveler. Either way, they wanted the story. I explained my journey and then the conversation turned to them.

The younger of the two, Kyle, had recently graduated college with a BS in Agriculture and specialization in Horticulture. He has been traveling the country for several weeks, starting from the east coast, offering his hand and his knowledge to organic farmers. He works for food and lodging and the education and the fun of it. He told me about WWOOF--World Wide Opportunities in Organic Farming.  This is a volunteer organization that links volunteers with organic farms. Kyle has found farms through WWOOF and works for a time and then moves on. Sometimes he goes into a town, asks around to find out who the organic farmers are, and then volunteers his help. With going through WWOOF, the organization will identify those farms who have signed up as hosts. But not all organic farmers know about this organization so he tries to educate people about this great volunteer organization as well. 

Kyle and I talked about organic farming and healthy nutrition. I told him I had a dream to own a small, organic farm and a vineyard some day and to have a small healing practice 3 days a week. He told me to contact him when I get the farm and he will work for me and teach me what he knows. I think he knows quite a bit, so I will have to hold onto his contact info! Kyle was friendly and open and I think he would be a good teacher.

I would like to hook him up with my daughter Heather and her husband Rick. They have been studying permaculture on their own for years and, now that they are new homeowners, they are changing the face of their yard, making it a productive mini farm in a suburban neighborhood. I think they could spend days sharing information.

Alex, whose artistic pen name is Alehk, is a young man who has a list of skills and stories. He has worked for a few years in northern Montana doing construction and painting homes. He enjoys the artwork of painting homes and does the specialty faux finishes and the more creative work than just rolling a brush. He is a spiritual person but without any specific beliefs or dogma and he likes to talk to people. He draws strangers to him and they embrace this young man and invite him into their homes and their very lives. He is also a fine musician and plays the piano, writes his own music, and even sings. He gave me the name of one of his songs so I could look it up on YouTube. The name of the song I found on YouTube is called “Once I Looked” by AlehkBranko. It is New Age in style with haunting tones and contemplative lyrics.

Alehk travels substantially, riding buses, trains, walking, hitching rides, etc. Have backpack, will travel! He finds people in bus and train stations and coffee shops and through “CouchSurfing”, a volunteer organization that links up travelers who share their homes and floor space. Alehk met Kyle just one week earlier in Boulder, Colorado through CraigsList. Kyle had gone to Boulder to seek out farming work but none of the farmers wanted any assistance. So, he posted an ad on Craigslist. Alehk answered, and the two are now traveling several hundred miles together. Kyle, who owns the car, is quite flexible and will drop Alehk off probably near Whitefish, MT.  In the meantime, they are enjoying each others’ company. And meeting strangers wearing doo rags.

Alehk told us of his recent history with a young Chinese lady who reached out to him for spiritual counseling and a good ear. “Wei” wasn’t sure what she wanted to do, but felt she needed to get out of her town in California. So Alehk, from Montana, joined her for some travels to ensure her protection and safety, which is how he ended up in Boulder. By then, several weeks into the trip, Wei still wasn’t sure where to go next---they had been to numerous places already. So, they parted friends, having made new friends in Boulder. But I think Alehk is a bit worried about her. 

He apparently is the Knight for the Distressed Maiden and told other stories, asking if he must have an invisible but legible sign on head that advertised him as a Protector. This sometimes gets him in trouble as the ladies mistake his generosity for something more.  Oh, such problems!  To be young and handsome and have the ladies falling all over you. 

He reminded me of my son: very slim, dark haired, full beard, big eyes, long lashes. While my son has light brown faun’s eyes, Alehk’s were a deep hazel. He looked like he could be my son. 

They were such a delightful pair of young men. Each with their own goals and dreams who, through Craigslist, are building a good friendship while making memories for life. I find it fascinating how people find each other. 

So, on to Billings. I arrived in the evening and checked into a Super 8. I cycled to a grocery store and grabbed a few days supply of food and settled in. The next morning, I went to the A&T store and $460 later, I left with an iPhone 4, a step down from the 4S which was stolen. This time, I bought the insurance!

I did a little supply shopping and stopped at a City Brew Coffee Shop near the Walmart on King and 24th Street. Man, was that coffee fantastic! It was like the blonde roast from Starbucks. Smooth, not bitter. They give one free refill and then 50 cents per refill after that. I didn’t need a refill but it’s a good thing to know! I spent the afternoon reconnecting with loved ones on my new phone. And getting a few “apps” back. I lost all my text messages and numerous photos. I still may be able to get some of the photos, but I kinda doubt it. 

The next morning, I packed up and went back to the coffee shop, drank my coffee, checked my digital maps (yay, phone!!), and went outside to check my tires. A lovely blonde woman, smartly dressed, carrying a business like folder in her arm stopped to ask about HD and what I was doing. We chatted a bit about the journey and then I asked her about her passions. She loves to write. She loves any kind of adventure. But mostly: She loves stories. In fact, her life revolves around stories. She pointed to the building next to the coffee shop and said she works there. 

It was a top local radio station, MOJO 92.5. Perfect name, eh? They play classic rock music and have a sister station, TWANG 105, that plays country. Lynne pulled me inside and introduced me to Charlie, who was busy working behind all the electronic equipment. They decided to interview me right then. So, after a song finished, they did an immediate, short, sweet interview, with Lynne asking questions. It was really fun and Lynne and Charlie were fantastic. Charlie apparently also loves to cycle and is apparently a big outdoors man.  

Lynne Fitzgerald is well known in Billings and has been doing the radio shows for quite some time now. She enjoys the stories. She would like to write but wonders if she has what it takes. She loves adventure and travel and has almost finished raising her children--which has been a joy. She is wondering what she will do next.

Funny. I’ve met a few women now who want to write but don’t know if they can. All three are intelligent, creative, friendly, witty, and yes, even lovely. There is a light in the eyes of creative people that accentuates their beauty. Male or female, young or old. Get out your computers ladies, and get to it. You DO have what it takes. 

After passing around hugs, I zipped back into the coffee shop to use their facilities before the long haul to Hardin. Right inside the door there was a retired couple drinking coffee and eating their breakfast. They had watched the interplay outside when I was talking to Lynne and checking my tires. They also wanted to know where I was going. Another delightful conversation ensued.

Vic and Sharon Signori have been married close to 30 years. They both worked for the University in Billings in administration. Sharon coordinated student career programs through several branch colleges as an academic advisor and guidance counselor. Vic worked in the money handling end---which is quite a job with a university. Both jobs require quite a bit of thought, ability to project thoughts and plans forward, and even multi-task, keeping several things on the front burners at a time. They retired from the university setting and for awhile they did some traveling. 

Mr. Signori, however, has a serious disability and he now relies on a walker for ambulation. He doesn’t feel any pain and he can’t tell where his legs are. He has to watch closely to make sure his leg isn’t twisted in an awkward direction because he wouldn’t know that he broke a bone until he sees swelling, bruising, or a misshapen limb. I was amazed at his jolly demeanor, his twinkling eyes, and his continuous smile. He said that, since he has no pain, there is nothing to be sad about. He just has to take his time.  They have been unable to do much travel lately because of the deterioration in his legs. 

What a friendly couple. They wished me safe travels and HD and I left the busy city.
Billings was a great place to visit, meet people, and drink coffee. For the next two to three days, I met people on the road who pulled over to say they had heard the radio interview and wondered if they would see me on the road. It’s a huge, small state. You know what I mean?




No comments:

Post a Comment