Thursday, June 6, 2013

Seaside Salvation and On To Washington!


On Memorial Day, May 27th, HD and I struck out for Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia River. After a long, hard day, and not feeling well, I had the joy of staying at the Shilo Inn & Suites--Oceanfront, in Seaside. We didn’t make it to Astoria. After 50 miles in the rain, feeling poorly, I was done in. I described this a bit in the last blog. I stayed in Seaside on Tuesday as well, drinking coffee at The Coffee Shop--great coffee there. It was right across the street from the hotel. The day was drizzly and cool and windy. I walked a few miles, picked up some cycle lubricant from the bike shop, and chatted with the co-owner. We discussed the absence of Walmarts in the area and the survival of the little mom-and-pop shops dotting the coast. I worked on photo uploads in the afternoon at the Inn and took a much needed nap. I ate the other half of the sweet potato and a small salad I had purchased from the grocery store. I got in some more basic exercise and then rested in the water facilities like the night before: steam room, sauna, and jacuzzi. It was a quiet day and I met a few interesting people, some online. It was a day of recuperation.

On Wednesday, May 29th, I left Seaside and the grocery store shortly after 9 am. It was a quick, dry ride for the 20 miles to Astoria. I stopped in a shop called Bach And Rock: Music, Movies, and Espresso. I went in for the coffee--which was just an afterthought of the owners. The real draw is the hundreds of vinyl records, cassettes, DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes---nostalgia, new and old. I spoke to the owner; this operation was the brainchild and passionatea dream of his wife. They are keeping the doors open, but barely. Their location is right across from the Columbia River, but really in a more industrial area so I don’t know if they get the foot traffic they would like. They also run a dog rescue; this was evident in the 3 dogs that live in the shop. One is very old and crippled; one is apparently blind in one eye; and one is just shy. Very sweet natured dogs. I could’ve sat in the shop and listened to music, but I knew that the day would be a long one.

I encountered rolling hills all the way to Westport, Oregon. Drizzling gave way to rain and back to drizzling, all afternnon and evening long. It was a real pleasure to ride the ferry across the Columbia River to Puget Island, Washington. The sky was gray and wet, but the cloud formations were really incredible: large, billowy shades of white and gray, with layers moving in different directions. From time to time, sun peeked through, sending rays of light in all directions. I even was able to lift my rain drenched face to the sun for a quick drying as rain gave way briefly to sunshine and warmth. Welcome, welcome sunshine.

At Puget Island, it was a quick ride to Cathlumet, but then the rain returned full force. It took some effort to find a motel on the iPhone and, when I did, I turned the wrong way on the highway and cycled about 45 minutes before I turned around and headed the other way. When I got to the motel, no one was there and my phone was dying. The manager and I texted back and forth and I finally checked in at about 9:10 pm. This was a 12 hour day and I was pretty wasted. But, my stuff was fairly dry (I’m learning!) so I only had a few things to dry. I don’t have waterproof shoe covers, but that is on the list. However, they cost $40-$45!!! I might just get some double wrapped plastic bags...
The motel was right across from the Columbia River. I wondered if the river ever floods. If so, the flood insurance in this area must be astronomical, because the water was “right there”!! It was a quiet night in the motel, but I still went to bed way too late.

I got back on the road this morning (Thursday, May 30th) with the final destination of Longview, WA. This is a larger city, about 26,000. I noticed that a bolt on my jackshaft was coming loose and the nut that secured it was gone. Also, I wanted to make sure that everything was running right; as smoothly as possible. Often, I feel a sluggishness in the works, but that might be me!!!

So, Henry David is being cleaned and lubed and shined at Bob’s Bike Shop in Longview, while I sit here at an ice cream parlour that sells coffee and has tables and chairs. And write. To you!

Tomorrow, I head north. I’m gonna try to cycle on the I-5 to the southern end of Seattle. I know I will have to exit around the larger cities and use side streets. I hope to reach Seattle in a 3-day ride. I haven’t fully decided on the route after that. I want to go up to Vancouver, BC, but it is all city streets and I may just stay at a friend’s house and take a bus up there and back. Is that cheating? The goal was to cycle the United States. Canada is my treat to myself. It would add a week to the trip if I cycle it. Don’t know yet. 

1 comment:

  1. If if helps, I was feeling sorry for you in all the rain. I think I would have called it quits.
    Maybe I don't have the determination that you do.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete