Friday, June 7, 2013

Ellensburg Edition


Ellensburg, Washington. This represents small town America quite well, I think. Farmer’s Market; Annual Rodeo, small, but respected university (Central Washington University), old downtown MainStreet feel, farms and ranches and orchards and produce stands in the country. A kickin’ Starbucks at the corner of University Way and 10th Street.  Vibrant with the college atmosphere but homey like your grandmother’s house. 

I love this town.

I stayed at the KOA for 2 nights and the management was very kind. This is one of my favorite KOAs, so far. The Ellensburg KOA has good cell reception; fantastic internet services; a family room; working laundry room; game room; great showers that I did not have to plunk quarters into; clean bathrooms; great kiddy area; and, and---it is situated right next to the Yakima River. This section of the river, which rushed right behind my campsite, was small but fast moving. Shrouded by trees, the river races over stones and rocks; the shoreline holds mulberry bushes and possessive birds--birds who scolded me when I sat next to the river to eat my salad. I could hear the swift waters all night and the night sky was dotted with stars. Could things get any better?

I arrived at the KOA on Wednesday, June 5th. It was late enough that I only managed to pick up a salad from Subway, set up camp, take a shower, do my exercises, and send texts to family and friends. 

In the morning, I rode my nearly empty cycle to Starbucks for a morning of “work”: fixing some banking internet issues, paying bills, checking some emails, and uploading photos to the computer. When I first arrived at Starbucks, I went inside, hooked up my mini computer and realized I had left my little purse in the cargo hold of the trike. I went outside to get it and met a senior gentleman who was studying HD in earnest. We began a conversation about recumbent trikes and in short notice, we were deep in conversation about his wondrous life. He was born 4 days before the WWI armistice was signed; joined the navy in WWII; got married before being shipped to the Pacific; and served in radio telecommunications in the war. When he returned, he went to college and eventually became a professor, teaching engineering drawing right here at Central Washington University. His wife was a high school teacher and they had 2 children. His wife died 4 years ago. He said he has had a very happy, fulfilling life, and continues to do so. He loves photography and, over the years, he has taken thousands of photographs of the area. He has especially enjoyed snapping shots of the construction of many of the university’s buildings over time, from breaking ground to completion. He has maintained a photographic history of the university, burning the photos onto CDs and giving copies to the college for its own archives. He is retired, but is known by the university staff and well beloved in the community. Here’s the kicker. This handsome, intelligent man with the bright eyes is 94 years old. Spry and active, he looks no more than 75. Dr. Stanley Dudley---a happy man with a full life who continues to enjoy his time on this planet.

In the afternoon, I left Starbucks and headed for Safeway to pick up groceries and The Dollar Tree to pick up cheap laundry soap, fabric softener sheets, and zipper baggies. At the Dollar Tree, I met “Web”, a handsome man a few years younger than I, who cycles regularly around town. He is working on stock and bonds investments but his passion is his Christian faith. He has done some mission work and also used to do quite a bit of oil painting at one time. He has had cancer but is clear and free now. He developed cancer during a stressful time in his life but is grateful to be well and recovered. 

When I came out of Safeway, a very pretty lady about my age stopped me and asked about the trike as she had been thinking about getting one. We discussed the values of riding a recumbent such as Henry David. This tiny lady, Linda, who reminded me of a forest sprite or a hummingbird, such was her vibrancy, then insisted I come to dinner at her home with she and her husband, Steve. 

I have been learning to listen to the Source and when these invites occur, I realize that there may be a reason. Or a benefit. Or a two-way blessing. 

So, I said yes.

I went back to the KOA, ate a small salad, and did my laundry. Then, I cycled back into town to find Linda and Steve’s home. 

And what a home it is!  The two of them designed and built this home and outfitted every nook, every cranny, every piece of moulding. Steve is a land developer and constructor; Linda was a realtor but, more than that, she is an artist. With Steve’s understanding of layout, space, architecture, and what is required to build a home and Linda’s flair for color and design, and her knowledge of antiques, historical cultures, and the “feel” of a home, the two worked together to create a true piece of art. There are bronze sculptures, vibrant paintings, wrought iron chandeliers, dark woods, hand laid tiles, and large windows showing off a delightfully green lawn. Every tile is laid with care; every piece of art chosen with intent. Decor hearkens from around the world. Linda said they wanted to create a place that resembled an Argentine gentry home. She has been a world traveler and understood what this required. From what I could surmise from how this home appears, the old Argentine gentrified ranch home was typically filled with artifacts from around the world, but somehow coalesced to create a strong, cohesive picture. That is what I saw. Simply breathtaking in its scope and design. Strong and solid with ornate metal work, ceramics, and earth tones. Warm.

Linda prepared a delightfully fresh meal and Steve showed me the back porch area with  outdoor tiles, furniture that carried through the Argentinian theme, more bronze scupltures, and outdoor fireplaces. In several inside rooms there are fireplaces--propane start with firelogs at the ready. His favorite room was a small library filled with cherished old books--limited editions and leather-bound collector’s books. Steve’s passion is economics. While he is a land developer, his education is in economics. He enjoys learning about investments, the global economy, and how money flows. This is how he spends his free time: reading antiquarian and modern writings on economics. This must be how the brilliant find their relaxation. 

Steve told some stories of his life that were heart-warming as well as heart-wrenching. He grieves over his father’s death and must have been the executor of the will as he was encumbered for several years with caretaking of the family properties and possessions until all could be dispersed. He has had family members with tragic stories and he has been their caretaker as well. He continues to financially help his family.

Steve takes care of others and finds his purpose in that caretaking.

Linda is an artist. She is articulate and curious and loving and is genuinely filled with curiosity about others. She has been an incredible stepmother to her stepsons and now the grandchildren. They love her and consider her as their own family. She is a good listener and a caring person. She is intuitive and spiritual. 

She is Yin.

Linda has a degree in English but put her writing on hold for most of her life while she poured her life into her marriages. Over the last few months, however, she is rediscovering her “muchness”, as the Mad Hatter would say, and has started the brave work of writing. It takes some courage to do that which you know is in your heart and soul, but have not had the desired validation to continue. 

I wanted to be an artist when I was young. I took a high school art class at 15 and received a B. I gave up my artistic dream right then and there. Apparently, I was afraid of failure.

So, now at 62 (I thought she was 8 years younger!), Linda is blossoming like a lotus flower. At the end of the evening, she read her own condensed version of some of Thoreau’s writings. She did an eloquent job of reading the essay, with a background of music that she particularly appreciates. 

Linda asked me to spend the night in her guest house the next night--my last planned night in Ellensburg. I agreed as I wanted to hear her story. 

I’m glad I did. 

************************
I awakened this morning at 5 am but hid back under the sleeping bag until about 6 am. I  had a busy morning talking to Deois and then to Russ, my dad; writing a bit on my blog; and packing up HD. I cycled into town to the Starbucks again. Today is the last day of college and the “kids” were excited and much more relaxed today. I spoke on the phone to a friend I met online, wrote letters and postcards, sent emails to recent friends I have met on this adventure, paid a bill, and wrote more on the blogs. I took care of some more loose ends and then cycled to Linda and Steve’s house again at about 6 pm. I moved my two backpacks into the guest house and pulled out some of the food and put it in the kitchen. I had just started writing again when Linda arrived to share her stories. 

Oh my god. She needs to write a book!! What a fascinating life, from her French immigrant grandfather who was a primary partner in creating the Weston Hotel line, to her father who continued the “home business”, expanding it and working hard to building his empire and his family. Linda, in her life as an adult, went from riches to rags to riches to rags--repeatedly. Now, she says that possessions don’t mean anything to her as she has learned to live with or without. She was unable to have children and spent her adult years as a supportive wife to various spouses with tragic results. She has been all over the world and has done many things: built homes, learned to ski, trained horses, tanned leather, gardened and canned and preserved, danced, was a seamstress, and became quite a successful realtor. 

But all along, she wanted to write. She just did not think she was good enough.

Tonight, she read to me some of her poems and writings she has done over the last three months, since she gathered the courage and the inspiration to return to her true nature. Let me tell you, she is good enough. More than good enough. This woman better continue writing. It burns inside and is now leaping out in flames. Like the tiny candle that was given some oxygen and became a raging fire. 

Write, Linda, Write!

1 comment:

  1. You are meeting some very special people, Jo. I love this story.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete